James's Reviews > Black Beauty

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

liked it
bookshelves: 1-fiction, 2-fic-childrens, 4-written-pre-20th-century

Review
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell is a beautiful story meant for older children or very young adults. It was written in the 19th century by a woman who passed away shortly after its publication. I enjoyed the story and have given it a 3 of 5 stars, which is still very good in my book.

A few interesting things:

1. The point of view in the book is from Black Beauty, the horse.
2. It takes place in London nearly 150 years ago.
3. It's still a cherished story for both pleasure reading and education purposes.

I received it as a gift when I was about 8 or 9, as I had asked for several "classics" for Christmas. When I saw the cover, I thought it looked pretty. But not enough to read it. It sat on my shelf for probably two years until one day, I said "let's just give it a chance." I was afraid it would be too boring... I've always preferred complex plots and strong characters. I wasn't sure this would really work for me. I was wrong!

Seeing how people mistreated and misunderstood animals was a big benefit of the book. It opens your eyes to things from another perspective, and if it helps just a little to develop a bond between younger adults / children and animals, then it's served its purpose.

It's one of those books everyone should read... but not as a forced school assignment. It should be something parents want to share with their kids around 7 or 8... teaching them about how to be respectful and kind to all creatures. And then take them horseback riding to see what it's actually like. That's what I did when I finished it... went with a small group of friends to a riding academy / farm a few towns over and learned about horses for one summer. I kinda miss riding... maybe I should try it again. Off topic again... what is up with me today on these reviews! :)

FYI - Wrote this review ~2017 from memory as I want to have a review for everything I remember reading. If I messed it up, let me know! LOL :)

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews... here's the scoop: I read A LOT. I write A LOT. And now I blog A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you'll also find TV & Film reviews, the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge and lots of blogging about places I've visited all over the world. And you can find all my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Vote in the poll and ratings. Thanks for stopping by. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

[polldaddy poll=9729544]

[polldaddy poll=9719251]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Beauty.

Started Reading
January 1, 1988 – Finished Reading
September 5, 2016 – Shelved
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 2-fic-childrens
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-written-pre-20th-century

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I read this many many years ago in my teens. I cried for a week. It affected me deeply at the time. I love all animals and can't bear to think of them being ill treated. I could not bring myself to read it again. Even now.

James Teresa wrote: "I read this many many years ago in my teens. I cried for a week. It affected me deeply at the time. I love all animals and can't bear to think of them being ill treated. I could not bring myself to..."

I understand. Our connections with animals are sometimes just as impacting as those with other people. Reading about it is not easy, but I believe there were some film or TV adaptions, not that I'd want to see them. The things we do to harm others... and still not always learn our lessons.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I saw a tv adaptation years and years ago and it broke my heart. Haven't watched any of the recent ones. Just couldn't.

message 4: by Paula M. (new)

Paula M. I also read it when I was 8 or 9. I remember the cover fascinated me but it wasn't as beautiful as the horse you attached . As for the story I don't remember a thing! Zero.

James I remembered it only because I went riding a few times that summer. So it stayed in my mind. Thx for the share!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Great review, James! I was obsessed with this book and the tv show on Nickelodeon. It came on at 5:30 am and I had to watch it before school each day...My poor parents!

James You were an early riser! Thank you very much for the feedback!

message 8: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Balici I have had my eyes on this book for a while. I think it's the right time to switch to some classics. Great review.

message 9: by R (new) - rated it 3 stars

R K I really liked the movie

James Good plan. It'll be a great change of pace.

Taelyr.Nelson i hope you have a very very very good day i want to follow you sooooooooooooooooooo i will

James :) thx

Shaina Or horse lovers ? 🐴

James Good point

Shaina Yes. Covers a lot of ground. I still love this book. I love the points you made though. Then I automatically think of the black stallion, especially bc of the gorgeous picture you included. :)

James That picture was so perfect when i found it! How’s the weekend going ?

Dan Stayskal I really enjoyed reading this book.Although it had me in tears in some parts it also had me giggling to myself in others.I love the way that it's from the horses perspective it made me think how some animals are really treated.I would totally recommend reading it. IT'S A GREAT BOOK!!!!

message 18: by Shortie (new) - added it

Shortie it's an amazing story that overwhelms you. i have always loved horses and this story is so close to my heart :)

Nagia:') ;")Be BeAutiful and HaPpy ;) Hi James
Good Job
Wowed review
How are you
everything okay
:"-)

James Dan, I know. Sad but rewarding.

James Isabella, that’s great to hear. Such passion in it.

James Thanks, Nagia.

message 23: by Betty (new)

Betty What I the about BLACK BEAUTY was the movie. I believed it was the first time Elizabeth Taylor stared in a movie. The movie was an instant hit.I was probably in my teens.

James I didn’t know that she was in it. I have to look for it. Thanks.

message 25: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Was she in Black Beauty? I know she was in National Velvet and that's about horses.