Christy's Reviews > The Troubles Keeper

The Troubles Keeper by Susan May

bookshelves: adrenaline-pumping-action, paranormal

I loved this ARC from Susan May! It was fun working with her as she's turned out to be a very warm, sweet person. One whose completely humble and open to changes. That's rare in an author, and makes her one special lady!

Parts reminded me a little of Stephan King, especially Danny Torrence in The Shining and Dr. sleep, you'll see when you get there....for now all I'll say is it has to do with keeping bad things locked in boxes within yourself.....something Rory does with troubles in this book, until he's faced with something dark that won't stay in the box created for it, yet in no way should it be let loose on the world. Usually he can remove everyone's troubles with a simple touch--then throw them all away. This "darkness" he picked up is new to him and he can't deal with it alone.

These are the beginning of Rory's own troubles. Troubles not so easily taken care of. It makes matters worse when the "dark thing" inside Rory is revealed to belong to a serial killer; one who is aiming for the girl Rory loves. To save her, he must share this secret with her, and hope that she believes him.

As we read on, we find that this killer has paranormal gifts of his own. Dark ones, that, as I said, Rory needs help with because he is no match for this murderer on his own. I was a little excited finding an old friend turn up in Rory's life that introduces quantum physics into the novel. Does this old friend have knowledge to help Rory fight the darkness?

This was a huge page turner, as the killer keeps striking those close to Rory.....headed ultimately towards the girl Rory would give his life to save. I loved this paranormal/thriller/serial killer/romance! After the first several chapters I was so hooked that I stayed up all night to keep reading. I'm terribly happy I got to try this book and have found a wonderful new author to follow!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubles Keeper.

September 5, 2016 – Started Reading
September 5, 2016 – Shelved
September 6, 2016 –
30.0% "I'm not sure why, but the first few chapters I was a bit lost (might not help that I'm very sick today), I jus't wasn't so sure, whether it wasn't flowing well (and as promised--there were a large number of small grammar issues-just editing issues). But now I am so glad I stuck it out, because I'm really beginning to enjoy this! I'm stuck in the story, and everything's running soothly now,"
September 6, 2016 –
30.0% "I'm not sure why, but the first few chapters I was a bit lost (might not help that I'm very sick today), I jus't wasn't so sure, whether it wasn't flowing well (and as promised--there were a large number of small grammar issues-just editing issues). But now I am so glad I stuck it out, because I'm really beginning to enjoy this! I'm stuck in the story, and everything's running soothly now, chapter 17 is very good!"
September 8, 2016 –
60.0% "I'm not sure why, but the first few chapters I was a bit lost (might not help that I'm very sick today), I jus't wasn't so sure, whether it wasn't flowing well (and as promised--there were a large number of small grammar issues-just editing issues). But now I am so glad I stuck it out, because I'm really beginning to enjoy this! I'm stuck in the story, and everything's running soothly now, chapter 17 is very good!"
September 8, 2016 –
60.0% "This is one of those books that keeps getting better the further you read!"
September 9, 2016 –
70.0% "This is one of those books that keeps getting better the further you read!"
September 9, 2016 –
68.0% "wow! when he meets his "old friend" it really starts getting wild!"
September 10, 2016 – Shelved as: adrenaline-pumping-action
September 10, 2016 – Shelved as: paranormal
September 10, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Christy Thank you...I know it is still pre-publishing stage. Getting better all the time (the book---and hopefully me soon!). Great story!

message 2: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan May Christy wrote: "Thank you...I know it is still pre-publishing stage. Getting better all the time (the book---and hopefully me soon!). Great story!"

Thank you and thanks for your help. Glad it's heating up. Should get to the boil soon! Sending wellness wishes across the ocean. :)