Nathan's Reviews > Malice

Malice by John Gwynne

1194546

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

Tough to critique this book. On the one hand, allowances should be made as this is the author's debut. On the other hand, well, read on.

I liked the pacing in this book and didn't find it a difficult read at all. The pages just kept turning, which is to be commended for a debut novelist. The canvas is pretty large too, and if Malice just stopped (rather than ended) that's because Gwynne clearly has his sights set on a larger scale.

Unfortunately the large cast of characters and the epic nature of this tale meant the characters were fairly thinly drawn. And apart from one or two characters, they don't really change at all over the course of what is a lengthy novel.

My other major problem with Malice is the lack of originality. We have characters who play the guardian role only to be revealed later as being of noble birth. We have many battles in forests, on river banks, in caves and in a fortress, with frequent 'explosions of blood and bone'. We have the maturing protagonist taming a wolven (dire wolf?) and all the threats the various characters face are on a grand scale; for example, giants, wyrms, draigs (or enormous lizards) and wolven. And we have angels and demons, which are sometimes referred to as exactly that, even though there is frequent mention of gods and creation, but not of a heavenly afterlife. Oh, and a magic system that is virtually unexplained.

Overall, this is a promising debut but I'm not sure I'd shell out another $25 Australian dollars to buy the next installment when there are so many other options in the Epic Fantasy genre. Still, if you want a fast-paced read that entertains but doesn't challenge, Malice might be for you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Malice.

September 4, 2016 – Started Reading
September 4, 2016 – Shelved
September 4, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Tehani (new)

Tehani "…allowances should be made as this is the author's debut" – why? Often an author's first book is the one that has been the most critiqued, the most workshopped, of any they will write in their career. Yes, generally an author's style matures and often improves over time (but not always) – I think debut or not, a work needs to stand on its own merits. No allowances made. It *could* be that the issues of the book are because it's a debut, or it might be something else entirely!

Nathan Hi Tehani. Agree with all your comments about the first novel receiving the most attention but I'm not sure many of the great spec fiction novelists would nominate their debut novel as their best. I think almost every author matures and grows into their craft. Hence "allowances".