Shannon's Reviews > Soldier Sister, Fly Home

Soldier Sister, Fly Home by Nancy Bo Flood

bookshelves: middle-grade

I’ve enjoyed many books by Nancy Bo Flood, and SOLDIER SISTER, FLY HOME, is no exception. This novel made me think more deeply about what it means, and how it feels to be bi-racial than any novel I’ve read before. Tess is half white, half Native American, but as she states herself, “They never saw me. They never saw Navajo or white - they only saw an Indian.” When her sister Gaby enlists in the army and is sent to Iraq, Tess is left to take care of Gaby’s horse Blue.

I’m a sucker for stories with intergenerational relationships, so I was pleased to find Tess heading off to camp in the canyon with her Grandma. Grandma is a wise woman and I enjoyed her perspectives. “When someone looks down on you, listen and learn. Walk with them.”

Tess struggles to learn what it means to be a real Indian. And although she doesn’t realize it in the moment, her sister’s horse Blue helps her find her way.

This is a lovely book for anyone who has ever felt out of place, or who has struggled to figure out exactly who they are. Bo Flood’s writing is engaging, and she displays a clear appreciation for the Navajo Nation. A good choice for middle school classrooms.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soldier Sister, Fly Home.

Started Reading