Diana Renn's Reviews > The Color of Earth

The Color of Earth by Kim Dong Hwa

Jun 08, 2011

How to explain this feeling of simultaneously wanting to linger on a page and wanting to race forward at the same time? There should be a word for it. The exquisitely detailed art in this graphic novel is stunning. I marveled at details on garments, the lush scenery of rural Korea, the careful attention to flowers (which are heavily symbolic here). The overall panel layout also propelled the story forward for me, even when the premise or dialogue felt a bit thin at times, or when the characters felt too predictable. (As an example of that, the close and relatively untroubled relationship between a tavern-owner mother and her sexually awakening daughter could be viewed as sweet but perhaps implausible to some modern readers. Also the love interest storylines for both mother and daughter do not always hold a great deal of suspense). I think the way to read this book is to just dive in to a distant time and a different culture, and submerge yourself in the amazing artwork. Some aspect of the story will grab you along the way. I'm eagerly moving on to Book 2 of the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color of Earth.