Sarah's Reviews > The Sweetheart Racket

The Sweetheart Racket by Cheryl Ann Smith

I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a fun private investigator romp. With a wink and a nod to Charlie’s Angels, three female private investigators head up an agency run by a slightly mysterious older man. The first story focuses on Taryn. She’s a former professional cheerleader, a bitter divorcee and a terrifying driver. She works with Rick, a gorgeous DEA agent, to find the conman who swindled his mother.

Fans of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum stories will recognise the slapstick, silly humour and will love this author’s sense of the ridiculous. A cast of zany characters surround Rick and Taryn and I really loved the author’s imagination. From peeping Tom frat boy neighbours to the hitman houseguest receiving anger management therapy, this story is full of delightful, unexpected moments and characters.

I’m sure serious mystery lovers will pick holes in the plot but the charm of this story is the characters and relationships. Taryn is a little bit insane but always fun and her approach to crime solving is slightly unorthodox. There is some heat between Taryn and Rick but also friendship and humour. There are a couple of slightly steamy scenes (including one in a dumpster) but all Rick and Taryn’s intimate moments tastefully fade to grey.

This is a fabulous, light-hearted antidote to the dark and gloomy Scandi noir trend in mystery writing. The author has set the scene for a great series and I’m already looking forward to the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetheart Racket.

September 4, 2016 – Started Reading