Amir Tesla's Reviews > Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions

Algorithms to Live By by Brian Christian

bookshelves: decision-making, computer-science
Recommended for: Nerds, geeks, productivity lovers

Okay, I loved this book. So what is it about?

The big picture
We encounter many problems in our daily life, for instance, should I park my car here or proceed with the hope of finding a free spot a bit further? Should I try new restaurants or just stick to good old ones I know? How can I find my life's purpose? What is the fastest way I can sort out my books, hmmm, should I even try sorting out my shelves? How can I best schedule my tasks for maximum productivity and many more routine problems like these.

These problems have a mathematical and computer science basis to which the scientific community has found optimum or near to optimum answers and this book teaches us how we can apply these solutions to our daily life problems. Amazing, isn't it? :D

The book itself:
Well, the idea of the book is just marvelous. In addition, the writers are profoundly knowledgeable and educated both from academic and non-academic perspectives; hence, they've woven perfectly selected anecdotes, philosophical, economical or psychological facts, literary phrases into the fabric of their stories which makes the book superb.

This book is not an easy read at all, and it's a good thing in contrast with common belief since it challenges and stretches your mind and expands your thoughts horizons. Part of this difficulty stems from the fact that authors are having a hard time simplifying mathematical and computer science facts. The material sometimes gets a bit tough to comprehend. On the other hand, It seems to me that authors are trying hard to make the text complex. :|

Final word
This book definitely is amongst the richest books I've ever consumed, lots of knowledge and insights are compiled in an applicable manner.

I would whole-hardheartedly recommend this books to all the nerds and geeks out there and everyone who enjoys improving efficiency and productivity of his/her day-to-day life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Algorithms to Live By.

September 4, 2016 – Shelved
September 4, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 4, 2016 – Shelved as: decision-making
September 25, 2016 – Shelved as: computer-science
October 13, 2016 – Started Reading
October 13, 2016 –
page 20
5.43% "با همين بيست صفحه غرق در لذت شديم"
October 15, 2016 –
page 55
October 16, 2016 –
page 75
20.38% "Sweet sweet challenging book."
October 17, 2016 –
page 82
January 17, 2017 –
page 100
27.17% "As you age, and begin to experience sporadic latencies, take heart: the length of a delay is partly an indicator of the extent of your experience. The effort of retrieval is a testament to how much you know. And the rarity of those lags is a testament to how well you’ve arranged it: keeping the most important things closest to hand."
February 7, 2017 –
page 142
38.59% "Oh I llllove this book <3"
April 1, 2017 –
page 165
April 3, 2017 –
page 260
70.65% "Lovely book"
April 7, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Mohammad Ali ترغیب شدم به خوندنش. متچکرم امیرخان

Amir Tesla خواهش مي كنم محمد علي جان
آره كتاب لذت بخشيه ؛)

Aaron Ng Great review, same thoughts here-- it's a fantastic book built around a great core promise that occasionally gets more difficult to follow than it should be.

Amir Tesla Aaron wrote: "Great review, same thoughts here-- it's a fantastic book built around a great core promise that occasionally gets more difficult to follow than it should be."

Thanx man, there's this saying that the most valuable books are those that tease your mind ;)