Laura's Reviews > Everything for a Dog

1351942
Jun 08, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, bes11-12, children-s
Read in June, 2011

This book made me a sniffling mess. I love a good cry as much as the next person and this book certainly knows how to pull on the heartstrings. Super sensitive kids might be upset by some of the violence (toward dogs) or tragic accidents along the way.

The story is told from three perspectives. Bone, a dog that makes his own way in the world, describes learning how to be a pet. Henry, a young boy, wants nothing more than his own dog. And Charlie, another young boy whose brother has recently died. I knew that the plots would converge at some point and they do in way that is effective and logical. This book is a great choice for students in grades 4 - 5, especially those who need a little help understanding other people's feelings or point of view.

Also, when I think Ann M. Martin, I think Baby Sitters Club. This proved to me that Martin can write books that reach beyond just popular. (Not that there's anything wrong with popular. Lord knows I loved BSC when I was a kid. But this work has more merit and I can see classroom/school potential.)

Another note (October 2011) -- Some elementary school students don't like the constant changes in perspective. If they like the story but not these shifts, they may like the companion novel, Autobiography of a Dog a bit better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything for a Dog.