Stephanie Ward's Reviews > 27 Hours

27 Hours by Tristina Wright

bookshelves: for-review, owned, print-arc

4.5 Stars

'27 Hours' is one of the best YA science fiction novels I've read this year, and I'm so happy that it's just the start to a new series. I enjoy SF enough to read quite a few, but this book felt like it transcended so many genre labels for me. I liked every single thing about the story and was actually pretty blown away by it. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star review is my own personal feelings about point of view. The book is told from the third person, from several characters' perspectives, and I fully understand why the author chose to do it. But I always prefer first person and it always seems to detract at least a little bit from my experience. Again - this is completely my opinion and it's not even an issue for everyone else.

I don't want to ramble on and have this review make no sense, so I'll try to just hit on a few of my favorite things. All of the characters were fantastic and realistic. Even though it's done in the third person POV, I felt like I knew each of them personally. The main characters, namely Rumor, Nyx, Jude, and Braeden, were all well rounded with distinct personalities, qualities, and flaws. It made each of them believable and easy to identify with on some level. I loved getting to know each of them and their stories, and especially liked watching their stories overlap and intertwine into the bigger plot. The author did a fantastic job of weaving each character's personal story line into the book's main plot. And what makes it more wonderful is being able to do it with not only one or two main characters, but four of them - which is amazing.

The plot and setting were both fascinating and amazing. The author uses great attention to detail and description along with vivid imagery to bring this futuristic world to life in front of my eyes. The plot was full of action, adventure, suspense, danger, and even some romance. For me, it goes beyond just the science fiction genre. I also want to mention the wonderful way the author has LGBTQ main characters for the book, which also puts it into a diversity category - which is a huge thing right now and I'm glad that she brought it into the series. Anyway, I think I said as much as I can. I very highly recommend this book to fans of all genres - you definitely want to pick this one up. I'm so excited this was just the first book and I'll be eagerly awaiting the next installment!

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 27 Hours.

September 3, 2016 – Shelved