Sarah's Reviews > The Talented Mr. Rivers

The Talented Mr. Rivers by HelenKay Dimon

I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a fantastic, fast-paced m/m secret agent adventure full of plotting, subterfuge and suspense. From alpha males who don’t express emotion terribly well to an entire cast of characters I found impossible to trust, this story ticked all the right boxes for me.

Hunter is a brilliant double/triple agent and I loved his complicated backstory. His blurred allegiances make for intriguing and unexpected plot twists. He is an emotionally constipated character perfectly suited for the son of one of the world’s most dangerous crime families. I love his skill set and his inability to trust as much as his dominant arrogance.

Will is only a little more emotional than Hunter is, but as the heir to a crime dynasty, his motives and allegiances are even more unclear than Hunter’s. Alternatingly innocent, naive, clever and ruthless, I was unsure of his character right up to the last pages.

The chemistry between Hunter and Will is incredible and while the beginning and end of the story are exciting and action packed, the men have little to do in the middle except battle for dominance as they enjoy some pretty rough and inventive sex. I’m not complaining, but the actual story does get a little bit lost for part of the book.

Surrounding Will and Hunter are the members of the CIA team working with Hunter and several players vying for power in Will’s family business. While the CIA agents are well developed into interesting characters, the various baddies are a little cliche and all too familiar. The ties between Will’s family members are more interesting and it took most of the book to work out their various interests and angles. I’m not sure why there were no MI5/MI6 agents working with the Germans and Americans to root out the evil British crime family, but I guess the author had a reason.

I read and enjoyed this without reading the previous book in the series. Events from the earlier book are clearly explained here, but I definitely would have started with the first book if I knew how much I was going to enjoy this one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Talented Mr. Rivers.

September 3, 2016 – Started Reading