Kaia's Reviews > The Drowning City

Jun 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: heroines-with-spines
Read in June, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drowning City.

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly There's a difference between picking up a book, reading the blurb, and figuring you should enjoy it, and encountering a book that has elements that make you really wish you could love it.

YES. To me there are "me books," which means they have all the elements I usually adore and am a total sucker for. Those are the biggest disappointments when they don't actually work for me. Far different from picking up a book and thinking "Eh, this could be fun" and then having it turn out to suck.

Verity Brown Downum admits in an interview that Isyllt is an old favorite revived from another project, and that's a dangerous proposition.

When I saw that, I realized it was probably the reason that Isyllt is such a boring character. The author has already done the interesting stuff with the character, but goes on writing about her as if the reader magically knows all that stuff about the character as well as the author does. It's not quite as bad as J.K. Rowling's assumption that the reader will naturally love Harry (and overlook all his misdeeds) because SHE does, but it certainly makes Isyllt a less engaging protagonist.