Carrie's Reviews > Every Heart a Doorway

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children is a school for those children who have disappeared from our world for a short time only to return and not be able to reconnect with reality. They have traveled to all different lands through various portals but for one reason or another were not able to stay in the worlds they long to return to.

Nancy's parents have enrolled her at the Home for Wayward Children as a last resort to have her return to her normal self after she had disappeared for a time. Her parents don't know what has happened to her and only want the girl she used to be but Eleanor West understands Nancy the way no one else could.

Every Heart a Doorway is weird. Very weird. But oh so lovely in it's oddity that I thoroughly enjoyed this read from start to finish. The story starts off with a vibe that you have been dropped into the middle of something but it does catch a reader up on what and why this mysterious school and characters exist fairly quickly and becomes quite engaging trying to figure out what will come next.

Not only is there the fantasy side to this story but it also turns a bit into a thriller/mystery read with the events going on so that also completely grabbed my attention. The characters are very diverse and their world/worlds very complex but only touched upon so far in this series but I would be quite intrigued to see where the author takes this series next.

Overall, 4.5 stars. Great start to this series, definitely an interesting start to say the least.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Heart a Doorway.

September 2, 2016 – Started Reading
September 2, 2016 – Shelved
September 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 3, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Kiri Fiona (new)

Kiri Fiona Great review, Carrie :D

Andrea Fantastic review...makes me want to listen to it today. I have it, so I'll try to get to it soon. They should hire you to write book blurbs.

Carrie I don't think of myself as a writer at all and most of the time just hope I make sense but I will say there are tons of books that I do think the official synopsis needs to be rewritten, either giving too much info or nothing like the actual book. LOL

Carrie And thank you both!! :)