Duane's Reviews > I Am Legend

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

bookshelves: 2016-book-challenge, horror, rated-books, guardian-1000, reviewed-books, science-fiction

Richard Matheson may be the most underrated genre writer ever. When you look at a list of his books- I Am Legend, Somewhere In Time, Hell House, Duel: Terror Stories, What Dreams May Come- just to name a few, you realize how unique and diverse his talent was.

This novel, I Am Legend, a perfect little bricolage of apocalyptic, dystopian, sci-fi, horror, vampire, zombie, is probably his best known work, although I'm partial to Somewhere in Time (Bid Time Return) being such a romantic sentimentalist.

I haven't seen the movie which I understand is nothing like the book, which is too bad because I think the story is worthy of a good film.

4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Legend.

September 2, 2016 – Shelved
September 19, 2016 – Shelved as: guardian-1000
September 19, 2016 – Shelved as: reviewed-books
September 19, 2016 – Shelved as: science-fiction
September 19, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy The movie is different, but it's still worth watching.

blake There are three movies that I know of based on this: The most recent one, "I Am Legend", of course, which is in the mold of modern superhero/action flicks; the '70s "Omega Man" Charlton Heston (part of his doom-and-gloom trilogy with "Planet of the Apes" and "Soylent Green") which is very typical of '70s nihilism, with the vampires as sort of counter-culture hippies; and the early '60s ultra-low-budget (but rather atmospheric) Vincent Price starrer "The Last Man on Earth".

The three movies bear varying degrees of similarity to the story—and almost none to each other. Heh.

Arya *Bibliomaniac!* Fraser Stark Wait. William Smiths movie is a BOOK too?