Tressa (Wishful Endings)'s Reviews > The Replacement Crush

The Replacement Crush by Lisa Brown Roberts

Sep 19, 2016

bookshelves: 2016-sept, ya-contemporary, ya, 2016

THE REPLACEMENT CRUSH was somewhat unexpected. The heroine is a bookworm who finds that the new guy who helps out at her mom's bookstore connects with her over Star Trek, among other things. There's a great group of friends, a fantastic mother/daughter relationship, some serious book geekishness with a book club and a book blog, one loser of a guy, and then some nice twists and turns to pull off this contemporary romance. If you enjoy your YA reads with some serious chemistry, plenty of geekishness (both of the book and Star Trek variety), lots of drama, and a sweet romance, then you might fall in love with this one.

The beginning of this story started right into the drama with Vivian falling for a player when she should have known better. I wanted to so roll my eyes because I thought anyone would see that coming. Seriously, why are girls so silly sometimes and why are some guys such jerks? Anyway, the friends and the humor and the totally hot Dallas with all the banter, kept me going. I also loved the Star Trek quotes at the beginning of each chapter. The play off of Spock's Vulcan advice was also fun (although by the end, it was a little overdone). The chemistry was right on and clean. The drama was definitely present although a little overdone towards the end as the story felt a little stretched out. There were also a few things that didn't quite work for me (like Vivian not talking to her mom about something towards the end or her mom not saying anything about scratches on Vivian's face - it's like that whole thing kind of disappeared). The ending was really fun and I've now got a song stuck in my head (good thing it's a classic).

In the end, was it what I wished for? It was a fun and enjoyable read. I would have liked it cleaner and some things not quite so over-the-top, but again, definitely entertaining with a swoon-worthy, but sweet romance as well as plenty of moments that made me laugh.

Content: Some innuendo, attempted rape, some swearing (including a few f-bombs), references to gay relationships.
Source: Received a complimentary copy from the publisher on NetGalley through the tour host, which did not affect my review in any way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement Crush.

September 1, 2016 – Shelved