Sheetal Maurya - Godse (Halo of Books) 's Reviews > Yama's Lieutenant

Yama's Lieutenant by Anuja Chandramouli

30196657

bookshelves: review-copy

You may also read this book review on my blog Yama’s Lieutenant by Anuja Chandramouli- Book review

"....Little moments of perfect happiness always outweighed the many moments of profound sorrow always."

I have got this book from the author for review purpose and I really thank the author for giving me a chance to read this amazing book!

Plot Summary:

This book opens up with Agni Prakash, the protagonist of the book thinking about her twin sister Varuna. They both were the best friend and Agni was shattered after the death of Varuna. He was trying hard to build his life when he got to know that he was chosen to be a Yama’s lieutenant who has a responsibility to find Ganga’s daughter and reunite her with Yama. Agni agreed, however, the path is not so easy.

On the other side, Naganara, foremost practitioner of that most forbidden of the occult arts is building an army with the horrible Narkmayas to bring the destruction on the earth. The silver goddess who guided the path to the Agni, tells her to find the Kritya, Minothi who has the power of earth.

Meanwhile, the story moves to the Sivagami Math, where the Kanyas were nurtured with the motto of to be virgin. But there is the one inhuman secret which leads the destruction of the math.

Agni, with the help of her guardian angel Dharami and the holy weapon of Yama’s noose and hell fire, manages to fight with the Narkmayas and finds the Kritya.

Agni’s sister Varuna has lefts a manuscript for Agni which consists the story of Brother and sister, Yama and Yami. How Yama, the favorite son of Surya become the god of death? With the current story, the book moves to the Varu’s writing which has surprisingly various hints which help Agni to find the path.

Now Agni, Yama’s Lieutenant and Minothi, the Kritya have to find the Ganga’s daughter and Yama’s bride to save the earth from the destruction. But do they able to fulfill the responsibility? Who is the Ganga’s daughter? Why has Varu left the various hints in her manuscript? Read this book to know further!

The last few pages are enough to judge this book.

Writing style:

This book is not among those which can be vaguely read. The language used by the author is of excellent quality. Each and every sentence is beautifully crafted by the author and which can be enjoyed only by the serious reader.

My perception:

I love to read mythology but I have never read about Yama and Yami. I appreciate the author that she has chosen the different story apart from the Mahabharata and Ramayana to write this book. What I love most about this book are the name and characterization. Kritya, Veshas, Narkmaya, Taravarsha, Naganara and much more! The description of the invisible creatures and location is truly appreciable. With this book, the author has also tried to showcase the good and evil, and the horrid things which are rooting in our society. The author has simply picked the mythological concept and merge it with the current scenario and I must admit that she has succeeded in it. This book is a great combination of mythology, fiction and fantasy, a must read!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yama's Lieutenant.

September 1, 2016 – Shelved