Lindsay - Traveling Sister's Reviews > Defending Jacob

Defending Jacob by William Landay

4 stars! This was a highly suspenseful legal thriller/family drama. I was completely caught off guard by that ending (I love when that happens!).

The story revolves around solving the murder of fourteen year old Ben Rifkin who was stabbed three times and left dead in a local park. I flip-flopped countless times on my feelings toward the fourteen year old defendant, Jacob. The author, William Landay, did a great job of stringing the reader along pondering Jacob's innocence. I found it very intriguing that the story was narrated by Jacob's father, the former first District Attorney originally assigned to the murder case. Much of this book focuses on Jacob's parents and their feelings and struggles before, during and after their son's trial. I was questioning myself throughout the novel as to how I would have reacted as a parent.

My reason for taking away one star was that at times I felt the story dragged a little. I was completely captivated by the story initially, but found throughout the book there were times where I wasn't as interested and my mind wandered a tiny bit.

A few quotes that I loved:

"A good marriage drags a long tail of memory behind it. A single word or gesture, a tone of voice can conjure up so many remembrances"

"At some point as adults we cease to be our parents' children and we become our children's parents instead."

"....my wife read so constantly that she would hold a book in her left hand while she brushed her teeth with the right..." (Sound familiar to anyone????? Hah!)

Overall, I enjoyed this book and can see how it has such great reviews. It's a book that has been on my TBR list for years and I'm so glad I finally got around to reading it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defending Jacob.

September 1, 2016 – Shelved
page 248
March 20, 2017 –
page 380
March 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

Lisa Hope you are enjoying this one Lindsey I loved it

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Lisa wrote: "Hope you are enjoying this one Lindsey I loved it"

I'm really enjoying this one so far Lisa! Very intriguing!!

Lisa Lindsay wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hope you are enjoying this one Lindsey I loved it"

I'm really enjoying this one so far Lisa! Very intriguing!!"

Yes it is will wait for your review:)

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I've heard so many great things about this book . . . hope you're enjoying it. :)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Yes I enjoyed it Melissa! Was a really good book!

message 6: by KAS (new)

KAS Great review, Lindsay! Glad the ending surprised you ;) xx

Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends Excellent review, Lindsay! So glad to see this was a good one for you. That ending took me off guard too I also love it when that happens.

message 8: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Oh one of my got to get to! Nice review, Lindsay

Melanie Nice review Lindsay. I liked this one too. The ending was a good one!

message 10: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Glad you enjoyed this book and got to tick it off your list

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Nice review Lindsay.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Definitely have to dust this one off and get it read! Nice review, Lindsay. :)

JanB I liked this one too, and yes, that ending!'

JanB Oh and I liked the quotes you included in your review...great review!

message 15: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Great review, Lindsay! I've had this book sitting on my shelf for years and haven't even thought about reading it, until now! Thanks!! :<]

Norma * Traveling Sister ~ Semi-hiatus for now until I fully get my reading/reviewing hat on! &#x1f602; I’m almost there! &#x1f495; Wonderful review, Lindsay! I still need to get to this book! So glad to see you enjoyed it! :-)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister KAS wrote: "Great review, Lindsay! Glad the ending surprised you ;) xx"

Thank you KAS!! Yes - I love an ending that I wasn't expecting!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Brenda wrote: "Excellent review, Lindsay! So glad to see this was a good one for you. That ending took me off guard too I also love it when that happens."

Thanks Brenda!! Your review was one of the ones that made me finally decide to borrow this from the library, so I must thank you! Can't believe I waited so long to read it. Such a good, suspenseful story!

message 19: by Larry (new)

Larry H Terrific review, Lindsay! This is one of those books I've heard about over and over again, and while it's always intrigued me, I've never read it. I'll have to finally add it to my list.

message 20: by Britton (new)

Britton Epps Putting on my TBR

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Fabulous review, Lindsay! I loved the quotes!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Jen wrote: "Oh one of my got to get to! Nice review, Lindsay"

Thanks Jen!! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it! :)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Melanie wrote: "Nice review Lindsay. I liked this one too. The ending was a good one!"

Thanks Melanie!! Yes - that ending shocked me!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Maureen wrote: "Nice review Lindsay."

Vanessa wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this book and got to tick it off your list"

Thank you Vanessa and Maureen!!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Melissa wrote: "Definitely have to dust this one off and get it read! Nice review, Lindsay. :)"

Thanks Melissa! So many books and so little time....... ;-)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister JanB wrote: "Oh and I liked the quotes you included in your review...great review!"

Thank you JanB!! Those quotes really struck me while reading and I wanted to include them in my review so I wouldn't forget them. :-)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Linda wrote: "Great review, Lindsay! I've had this book sitting on my shelf for years and haven't even thought about reading it, until now! Thanks!! :<]"

Thanks Linda!! As I said in my comment earlier while reading this book, more than a couple times I have imagined standing in your personal library in 'awe'! It sounds so amazing!!! Hope you get the time to read this at some point. It's a good one! :-)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Norma wrote: "Wonderful review, Lindsay! I still need to get to this book! So glad to see you enjoyed it! :-)"

Thanks Norma!!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Larry wrote: "Terrific review, Lindsay! This is one of those books I've heard about over and over again, and while it's always intrigued me, I've never read it. I'll have to finally add it to my list."

Thank you Larry! I totally know what you mean - I had heard about this book so many times. A few recent reviews made me decide to finally pick it up from the library last week - I'm glad I did! Hope you enjoy it!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Britton wrote: "Putting on my TBR"

Hope you enjoy it Britton! :-)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Jennifer wrote: "Fabulous review, Lindsay! I loved the quotes!"

Thank you Jennifer!! I like to include quotes that really stuck out to me while reading. Thanks for the message! :-)

message 32: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Great review Lindsey I loved the ending too!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Excellent review Lindsay! I loved this also.

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Thank you Lisa and Mary!!! Such a good book! :-)