Caitlin's Reviews > The City of Mirrors

The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin

liked it
bookshelves: 2016-reading-challenge

I have mixed feelings about this book. 3.5 stars? As with the rest of the books in this trilogy, it is a TOME.
There are parts I FLEW through, like Zero's background and the battle scenes, and parts that I got so bored with, but I kept trudging because I knew it would eventually get good again. The story, overall, was good, and the payoff was pretty good.

Aside from needing some editing, though, I actually rolled my eyes several times at some of the sexist undertones. A few examples that come to mind: 1) rape as a plot device. Alicia was a strong, resilient character and her being raped was a cheap ploy to move her story along. 2) Several times things and/or people being called "bitch" at the height of someone's anger 3) There was a comment during the battle about how women wanted to help fight along the wall, and that was okay, whomever was in charge should let them. GIGANTIC EYE ROLL.
In a trilogy with strong female characters, a trilogy which is LITERALLY about a girl saving the world, do we need women to be raped as a plot device, and for them to be given permission to fight when there was a shortage of fighters? Cronin can't seem to decide how he feels about women.

Additionally, while I liked the ending, are we really supposed to believe that Logan went from someone who couldn't detect a joke to falling in love with someone and becoming a completely different, emotionally open person...in less than two weeks?

You know what, never mind. Three stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Mirrors.

August 31, 2016 – Started Reading
August 31, 2016 – Shelved
August 31, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 5, 2016 –
page 100
September 7, 2016 –
page 178
29.57% "Ohh this book is making me stay up far later than is reasonable. Shoot."
September 11, 2016 –
page 269
September 15, 2016 –
page 369
September 19, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 26, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-reading-challenge

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Diane ALL OF THIS.