Kaitlyn Bouchillon's Reviews > Me Too: Experience the God Who Understands

Me Too by Jon Weece

did not like it

The idea behind Me Too is good. When you pick up the book, it sounds like you'll be reading about how God understands, how through the personhood of Jesus Christ He experienced many of the feelings we have and a lot of life that we walk through. The back cover copy and description listed here on Amazon seem to say that as well. However, the book touches on this idea a time or two and then rambles about stories that don't connect to the point of the book. I re-read the back cover and don't at all see how the book matches that wording.

I'll be honest up front and say that I stopped reading at page 93. By page 40 I wanted to be done - I was annoyed by the choppy writing style, the book formatting (more on that in a minute), the sentences I assume are jokes but come across as rude statements, grammar and punctuation typos, and the lack of any transitions between stories. It is very rare that I do not finish a book, though, so I pressed on. By the time I made it halfway through the book and a few chapters into the next section, my feelings from the 40-page-point had only grown stronger. You can take or leave this review for what it is, as I didn't finish the book. But quite simply, it was not compelling.

About the formatting: The font used is hard to read. But beyond that, there is a double space between every single paragraph in the book. This definitely doesn't help with flow, and if I had to guess, I would say they were desperately trying to make the book appear much longer. With normal spacing, it would have been a good deal shorter (probably about 150 pages).

An an example of sentences that are likely jokes but are never once clarified as such:

"If you love bacon, Jesus loves you!" (pg 38)
"If you haven't eaten Golden Oreos, you are sinning." (pg 42)

Granted, if this were spoken in a conversation it may be funny. But when you write something down in print, you cannot hear the author's tone of voice. The author should make it clear what the style is. If you're reading a book by a comedian, of course you could assume. But this is a book written by a pastor, so jokes like this may not come across very well for many readers. For example, the second sentence listed here is immediately followed by this (which does not transition well, nor does it show that statement about sin is actually a joke): "We live in a performance-based culture. For many in our culture there is the unspoken mantra, "What you do defines who you are."

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Too.

August 31, 2016 – Started Reading
August 31, 2016 – Shelved
August 31, 2016 –
page 71
August 31, 2016 –
page 71
September 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Via (new)

Via Bella This is a helpful review actually. Thank you.