Jen's Reviews > The Couple Next Door

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

liked it

First of all, I'm a skeptic by nature. By going into a thriller, I go in grudgingly knowing I'm going to be critical. Suspending belief shouldn't be required for a story done well.
As I'm reading, this is the constant chatter going on in my head recalling Elaine in a Seinfeld episode - "maybe the dingo ate your baby." I'm thinking anything is possible at this point - including the dang Dingo!

This is warped. Let me preface it. A baby is missing. Stolen from her crib while her parents sat at a dinner party next door. An investigation begins. Betrayal and lies are revealed. Nasty characters emerge. A kidnapping gone from bad to worse. A bunch of suspects who somehow get entangled in the mess. And it's twisted and contorted and what you think is straight forward is backwards.

And perhaps, just maybe, the dingo is guilty. Or you are. Or heck, maybe I am. In the end, it seemed a little hard to grasp that much conspiracy. A fun read nonetheless. 3.5*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Couple Next Door.

August 31, 2016 – Shelved
August 31, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 19, 2016 – Started Reading
November 20, 2016 –
page 62
19.38% "Maybe the couple next door took the baby....?"
November 20, 2016 –
page 120
November 21, 2016 –
page 180
November 22, 2016 –
page 224
70.0% "This is warped. She did it, he did it, hell, maybe I did it."
November 23, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)

message 1: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Thrillers are not my cup of tea, Jen , but I was waiting for your review . Just wanted to make sure you didn't do - lol !

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz Ha ha, Jen! Your review cracked me up! :-) I like crime and mystery books, but these twisty-turner "thrillers" don't do much for me because I think I'm too much of a skeptic, like you.

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Angela M wrote: "Thrillers are not my cup of tea, Jen , but I was waiting for your review . Just wanted to make sure you didn't do - lol !"

I'm honest...or so I say :) Not your type of book for sure, Angela. But was a fun read

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Liz wrote: "Ha ha, Jen! Your review cracked me up! :-) I like crime and mystery books, but these twisty-turner "thrillers" don't do much for me because I think I'm too much of a skeptic, like you."

Thanks Liz...only true Seinfeld fans will remember that clip! It was a fun read but ya, not truly believable.

message 5: by Candi (new)

Candi Fun review, Jen! And thanks for the Seinfeld memory!!

Linda Great review! After I finished the last page, I would have thrown it out the window, except I'm I have a lousy aim. I gave it five stars because any book that could get under my skin like this one did deserves kudos. You were spot on with your rating, however. Glad you did enjoy it.

Linda Enjoyed your review, Jen. I couldn't agree more. Had a hard time with this one, too. Had more stretch to it than a pair of yoga pants. Haha!

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Thanks Candi, Linda and Linda. Linda, re the yoga pants, that's funny! And bang on with stretch :D

message 9: by Dana (new)

Dana Haha! Love your review and the Seinfeld memory! I stopped reading thrillers for a while, feeling jaded by the sudden twists that seems to be trending.

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen I hear you Dana. I'm becoming jaded as well.

Deanna haha...love your review!! I hope some really great reads are up next for you!

message 12: by Zoeytron (new) - added it

Zoeytron Enjoyed your review, Jen!

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Deanna wrote: "haha...love your review!! I hope some really great reads are up next for you!"

Thanks D. I can't complain - I've had some pretty terrific reads this year. Overall, this wasn't a bad one either :)

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Zoeytron wrote: "Enjoyed your review, Jen!"

Thanks ZT!

message 15: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Good review, Jen. I passed on this one, too many mixed reviews.

message 16: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ It has been a stellar reading year though.

message 17: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Hello Ms Skeptic, nice to meet you. I get what you're saying. That's why I don't do thrillers that much, I tend to pick too many things that don't add up, unlikely, too convenient. But I can live with that. Plenty of other books to read.

message 18: by Esil (new)

Esil Thanks Jen. I'm finicky when it comes to thrillers so I not feeling a need to add this one.

message 19: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Diane S ☔ wrote: "It has been a stellar reading year though."

It's been amazing! Some of my great reading experiences are thanks to yours :) Good call on the pass - too many to get to as well.

message 20: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Bianca wrote: "Hello Ms Skeptic, nice to meet you. I get what you're saying. That's why I don't do thrillers that much, I tend to pick too many things that don't add up, unlikely, too convenient. But I can live w..."

I enjoy a good thriller and had an itch for one. This wasn't it but it was entertaining. But, yes, too many great ones await!

message 21: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Esil wrote: "Thanks Jen. I'm finicky when it comes to thrillers so I not feeling a need to add this one."

Good call, Esil. I will need to look elsewhere to get my fix!

message 22: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Thanks Karin

Jeannie I liked your review Jen, I also found some parts unbelievable, I couldn't put it down though.

message 24: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Thanks Jeannie - it was a page turner :)

Karen Hi Jen
I really enjoyed your review. I was highly entertained while reading this until I got to the final pages.

message 26: by Debbie "DJ" (new) - added it

Debbie "DJ" Fantastic review Jen! I feel the same about thrillers...but every once in awhile there's a good one. Was contemplating reading this one, but think I'll wait. Thanks :)

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol "maybe the dingo ate your baby."

LOL!! You made my morning with this memory from Elaine. I do enjoy a good thriller; but, to be honest I rarely remember them afterwards.
Your review was delightful!

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Loved your review, Jen! I think I'll pass on this book.

message 29: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Thanks Carol. Loved the Dingo reference - never knew when I could use this one.LOL. Thanks Deb - Happy to see you on here :)) Thanks Jennifer - not a bad one at all but I think John Hart is my thriller guy now.

☮Karen Great review, Jen! I'm not guilty! Want to read this though.

Marilyn C. Terrific review, Jen and I loved your dingo references :) I agree with everyone's comments about thrillers - they are good in small doses. This book was a fast read but got somewhat annoying by the end.

message 32: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen ☮Karen wrote: "Great review, Jen! I'm not guilty! Want to read this though."

I'm glad you aren't guilty! I think you may like it - it's fast moving and fast paced and I am guilty of being sucked in. I can't wait to hear what you think!

message 33: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Marilyn wrote: "Terrific review, Jen and I loved your dingo references :) I agree with everyone's comments about thrillers - they are good in small doses. This book was a fast read but got somewhat annoying by the..."

Thanks Marilyn. They are good in small doses as long as you get the right dose from the get go! I really like Hostage Taker - and the sequel has just come out

message 34: by LeAnne: (new) - added it

LeAnne: GeezerMom Omg. I do Meryl Streep's "the dinga ett ma baybee!" on a regular basis. High drama!
Love your reviews!

message 35: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Too funny, LeAnne! Love it :D

message 36: by Ace (new)

Ace Hah, Jen, it definitely wasn't me!

☮Karen LeAnne wrote: "Omg. I do Meryl Streep's "the dinga ett ma baybee!" on a regular basis. High drama!
Love your reviews!"

Me too. Irritates the heck out of my husband.

message 38: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Glad to hear it Ace! Karen, my husband reacts the same way lol

Marilyn C. Jen wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "Terrific review, Jen and I loved your dingo references :) I agree with everyone's comments about thrillers - they are good in small doses. This book was a fast read but got somewhat..."

I will look into that one, thanks!

message 40: by Idarah (new)

Idarah Haha! Great episode, great review. I go into thrillers thinking the same thing.

message 41: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Eve wrote: "Haha! Great episode, great review. I go into thrillers thinking the same thing."

Thanks Eve! No series can replace Seinfeld, sadly.

❀Julie Great review Jen, you summed it up perfectly. :) Oh I miss those Seinfeld episodes...

message 43: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen My too, Julie... thx :)

message 44: by Kathleen (last edited Nov 27, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Kathleen Love your review, Jen. Love the Seinfield reference, too. We use that dingo line several times a year. My husband and I loved Seinfield.

message 45: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Love your review, Jen. Love the Senfield reference, too. We use that dingo line several times a year. My husband and I loved Seinfield.

message 46: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Thanks Kathleen. It was a much loved show - I've seen the episodes so many times I can quote them ...well almost!

Melissa Hahahaha . . . . love your review, Jen! I've been wanting to pick this one up, but I keep getting distracted by other things. I must admit I'm even more curious now. :)

message 48: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Go for it Melissa - it's received some higher reviews from unlike skeptics like me:) looking forward to your thoughts!

Melissa Jen wrote: "Go for it Melissa - it's received some higher reviews from unlike skeptics like me:) looking forward to your thoughts!"

I might. But I struggle with suspending disbelief and I'm a bit of a skeptic myself, so this might not go well. ;)

Jennifer Masterson Great review, Jen!

« previous 1