Cassandra's Reviews > The Dogs of Babel

The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst

Recommended for: anybody who likes depressing stuff

One of my favorite books ever. I don't know if any book I've read has hit me so hard in the chestal region as this one. I was so emotionally invested in this book, and when I re-read it again recently, it was no different. The entire last 30 or so pages of the book I was just crying, trying to read through my tears. For me, what this book is basically about is a man trying to cope with the death of his wife, and about putting the pieces together to figure out how and why exactly she died. I loved it.

But for a book I love so much, it pains me to say that there is one huge flaw here - the crazy 'underground talking dog group' subplot. When I think about this book and remember it, I don't even remember that whole scene as part of it. And that subplot is the only reason I can't give this book 5 stars, it just was too distracting and did not fit in with the rest of the feelings in the story.

There is so much of what was written here that really speaks to me, passages and paragraphs that I can remember almost exactly when I'm in the right mood, things I can identify with amazingly well. I will read anything else Carolyn Parkhurst ever will write.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dogs of Babel.

Started Reading