Taffy's Reviews > We Hear the Dead

We Hear the Dead by Dianne K. Salerni

Jun 07, 2011

bookshelves: 2011

Interesting story! I didn't think I'd heard of the Fox sisters and the start of Spiritualism but the more I read the more I remember hearing/reading about them. I also Googled the sisters and read the exact account as the book, only the book has more embellishment/emotion/story/characters (you catch my drift) etc.

The writing kept me involved in the story as well as the characters. I enjoyed watching Maggie grow up and struggle with her deception. She was easily swayed by those she loved to continue with the 'rappings" of the dead. Until she meets and falls in love with a handsome explorer who wants Maggie to give up everything for him. His family will not accept her and he believes if he can change her, they will. I was bugged that Maggie couldn't see he wanted someone different though he loved her.

Kate is the youngest sister who came to believe she really could speak with the spirits.

Leah was the bossy older sister who used and abused her sisters for money. The only one in the family who truly didn't know it was a sham was the mother. The father moved to the house he was building for his family and we never hear about him again. Sad for the mother! Did she ever miss him?

The story pulled me right in and I enjoyed reading it from the bright, fun beginning to the sad, dark end.

Rating PG

V: Intense mob scenes

L: None

S: None

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Hear the Dead.