Rebecca's Reviews > Every You, Every Me

Jun 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: age-high-school, words-and-pictures
Read in November, 2011

Well, I didn't love it quite as much as David Levithan's other books, but it kept me anxious, with more mystery and tension than I'm used to from him. Narrator Evan's instability/unreliability also added nicely to the tension, though the many strikethroughs in the text (which started out as a kind of poetry, showing Evan's true thoughts vs. what he projected) began to feel tiresome and inconsistent. I always like a book that uses a visual element (here, photographs by Jonathan Farmer on heavy white paper). Evan receives the photographs in unexpected ways, and so did Levithan, apparently, shaping the story with the receipt of each new photo. That the story doesn't feel like it was written this way is an accomplishment.

Favorite quotes:

"Focused on nothing, open to everything -- it's a state I fall into, where all my senses swap. My voice is blind, my hearing is mute, my sight is deaf. Art is science, mathematics is conversation, and music is something that bleeds. I am so far away that I'm inside myself. I barely notice colors unless I taste them. Not the yellows or the greens. I taste the deeper blues. The darker reds. You see, I understand."

"I felt like I was your accomplishment, when what I really wanted was to be your friend."

"I had gotten so used to being alone, but never entirely used to it. Never used to it enough to stop wanting the alternative."

"If you zoom close -- if you really get close to someone, if you really get close to yourself -- then you lose the other person, you lose yourself entirely. You get so close you can't see anything anymore. Your mind becomes all these abstract fragments. English becomes math."

"I could never believe we were truly friends. It was as if he'd married into our friendship when he started going out with you. We weren't friends -- we were stepfriends."

"This is the thing they don't tell you about being a third wheel -- it's not like you're the wheel that's added on. You were one of the original two wheels, but suddenly you're not so important anymore. The relationship drives fine without you."

"You never looked absolutely the same -- it was like every picture brought out a slight variation. I wondered if it was just because it was a different moment, or maybe each photographer brought out a different you -- you could not be who you were without taking into account who was watching."

"Maybe relationships could have fractals, too. And maybe that sense of loss was when you're becoming a fractal of what you once were to each other."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every You, Every Me.

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Great review! I agree. Definitely my least favorite of his books, but still, it had some good moments and I did enjoy the photos. :)