Melissa's Reviews > The Girl She Used to Be

The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano

Jun 07, 2011

Read in June, 2011

"The Girl She Used to Be" hooked me from the first paragraphs:

"Name me. Gaze into my eyes, study my smile and my dimples and tell me who you see. I look like an
Emma. I look like an Amy. I look like a Katherine. I look like a Kathryn. I look like your best
friend’s sister, you sister’s best friend. Introduce me. Yell for me. Let me run away and call me
back. Run your fingers through my hair and whisper my name.
Call me whatever you want; it’s just a name, after all."

But it's not just a name for Melody, the main character. When she was six, she and her parents witnessed a mafia killing when they were innocently waiting for a restaurant to open for breakfast. Since that day, Melody's life has been reinvented countless times through her involvement with the witness protection program. Her parents have been murdered after the case goes to trial and Melody finds herself in a lifelong struggle to remain insignificant. She can never excel; she can never become famous; she can never dream of having a life more than that of a person easily forgotten and overlooked. Now as a 26 year old, Melody has no idea who she really is and what her options are for her future. She longs to be addressed by the name given to her by her parents, not the government issued names for anonymity. When the son of the mob boss enters her life and offers her the freedom she has been yearning for (at the risk of both their lives) she finds herself facing the possibilities of both a real life, or a brutal death at the hands of the mob.

This is David Cristofano's first novel and I can't wait to read more by him in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl She Used to Be.