Jaime Arkin's Reviews > Chasing Truth

Chasing Truth by Julie Cross

bookshelves: 2016, contemporary, entangled, on-my-real-shelves, read-in-2016, suspense, swoony-boys, ya

4.5 stars!

I really love Julie Cross’s writing so I was super excited to see that she was writing a mystery, suspense YA series! First of all, you have to know that I am obsessed with crime and suspense stories. I could watch Investigation Discovery 24/7… Dateline, I think I’ve seen every episode. I love this genre when it’s done well, and I think that Cross did an amazing job with the first book in the Eleanor Ames series! Cross certainly delivers with Chasing Truth.

I’m going to admit up front that this book is a bit long for a YA story, but when I think back, I can’t think of a way it could have been shorter! Which just means that it needed to be this long, but please don’t let the size of it keep you from picking it up!

Eleanor Ames has a past she’s not proud of… she grew up only knowing the next con and the next job. Her family isn’t one she can depend on, except her sister Harper. On the straight and narrow now, she’s enrolled at Holden Prep, brushing elbows with the rich and powerful and none of them know who she used to be. After attending Homecoming with her best friend Simon, he commits suicide but she’s convinced that’s just not true.

The more Eleanor digs, the more questions arise and then she meets her new neighbor Miles Beckett. He’s mysterious and arrogant and he sees things in only black and white… but things with him aren’t exactly as they seem either.

Cross did an amazing job building the suspense with this story, and I can admit that I had no clue who did what and who was doing what and I loved every second of it. Also, I just have to mention the UST between Miles and Eleanor because holy crap there is so much and it’s delicious and I want so much more of it. These two clicked on so many levels, but they are also keeping major secrets from each other and that really puts a crimp in them trusting each other and working together to find the truth about what happened to Simon.

I also enjoyed a lot of the secondary characters here and they were all a big part of the story! From Justice and Bret to Dominic and Aidan they all had major parts in this and really rounded out the story.

I’m super excited for the rest of this series and I can’t wait to see what happens in the second book, I have some hopes as to what we’ll see, but I know I’ll love it no matter what Julie writes.

Fans of Veronica Mars are going to love this! Grab this one as soon as possible!

Thank you to the publisher for an early copy in exchange for my honest thoughts!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Truth.

August 31, 2016 – Shelved
September 19, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
September 19, 2016 – Shelved as: suspense
September 19, 2016 – Shelved as: swoony-boys
September 19, 2016 – Shelved as: ya

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Roxanne I loved this one too!

Hannahlovesbooks I'm super interested in this book! But I hate picking up series when all the books aren't out yet. My question is, does this end on a cliffhanger, like are you dying for the next book?

Holly @hannahlovesbooks, I don't consider the way it ended to be a cliffhanger. The immediate mystery was resolved, and what's leftfor the next book is a developing relationship and maybe some change in family status. Hard to say more without spoilers but I wouldn't call this a true cliffhanger at all. That's my opinion :)