Emily May's Reviews > The Raging Quiet

The Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordan

Jun 07, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction, young-adult, 2012
Read from January 11 to 14, 2012

4.5 stars. I never imagined I would enjoy this as much as I did. This book has been on my mental TBR list since long before I even had a goodreads account, because it seems that everyone who reads it recommends it to me and yet it's taken me so long to get around to it. I would guess The Raging Quiet struggles to find an audience when historical fiction is not very popular in YA, and especially the ones that don't feature corsets and dramatic love affairs.

Possibly the first thing I noticed and loved about this novel was the setting. It's a very cold, dark, pastoral and gothically beautiful place. It reminded me a lot of Wuthering Heights with that sense of isolation and wilderness. The author captures the lonely, eerie atmosphere of her story's setting perfectly.

The tale is about two outsiders - Marnie and Raven - and how they come to develop an understanding of one another. Marnie arrives in Tocurra with her new and much older husband who she has married to save her family from poverty and who also tells her she will "learn to like it" after he rapes her. Raven is the village madman - believed so because he is deaf - and the locals attempt to beat the demons out of him. Marnie first comes under suspicion of withcraft when her husband falls to his death; a suspicion that only grows when her and Raven develop a sign language to communicate with each other. And trust me, this isn't the time or place to be suspected of witchcraft.

This is an extremely powerful novel that creeps up one you. You don't realise how emotionally invested you are until your heart is suddenly pounding and your emotions are in overdrive. I've always found it particularly horrifying to read some of the things done to young women who were accused of being witches and this book may be labelled "fantasy", but the rituals are entirely real.

But, in the end, this is also a very sweet and touching novel about two people who don't fit in finding their own little world together, their own way of living that suits them both, others be damned. I was moved by it and I think it will be hard to find a reader who isn't.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raging Quiet.

01/12/2012 page 145
45.0% "Oh my god, why did I start this on a night when I have to get up early in the morning?!"

Lora Ooohhh . . . I really hope you like this.

Emily May Thanks Lora! All my friends seem to love this so I'm sure I will :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes, four stars! I loved this one:) Looking forward to your review.

Lora Four stars! Yays:)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

oh I have this, I need to get to it :)

Emily May It's really really good! I'm still torn between 4 and 5 stars, I need to think about it a bit before I write my review :)

Tara Great review Emily!! :-)

Emily May Thanks Naru and Tara! :)

Reynje Lovely review Emily. I've been trying to track down a copy of this for ages.. I keep hearing such good things about it.

Emily May Thanks Reynje! It's a great book, I really think you'll like it :)

message 11: by Vane (new) - added it

Vane J. *Emily May mentions Wuthering Heights* *Vane instantly TBRs whatever Emily reviewed*

Great review! :)

Emily May Hehe, thank you :)

message 13: by Sabrina (new) - added it

Sabrina Bay Thanks! I'll read it!

Meagan I love the Raging Quiet but her book the Secret Sacrament is amazing!!

message 15: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Carlton I've searching for it for a year and so. T>T

Vaelkyrja I'm so glad you liked it. The Raging Quiet stunned me when I first read it, and it holds up over time. The book deserves a lot more press.