C.G. Drews's Reviews > Song of the Current

Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser

Jun 03, 2017

bookshelves: 4-star, epic-fantasy, pirates, read-2017, young-adult

This book absolutely blew me out of the water with it's epicness! And I hope you PAUSED FOR A SECOND to view the flawless grace of that terrific pun right there. Because its'a bout ships and water?? GET IT?? *smothers self for terrible pun* MOVING FORWARD! I'm always on the look out for delicious pirate books, and this doesn't disappoint! Also add in a dash of love/hate romance, smuggling, dark power that doth not sleep, badass female captains, personified water gods, a smol mention of a water drakon, and DON'T FORGET DELICIOUS FISH FINGERS.

Omg I can't even. This book is so so good.

Also I will pause for a moment to cheer about the world building. The AESTHETICS, okay?! They're tremendous. Usually I whinge about this in epic fantasy, but not so here! Most of the book takes place on rivers, and I could just feel the murky depths and the jungles and the wherries catching the right tides as they slink up and down jungle infested rivers. I COULD SEE IT ALL. It was perfect and brilliant. #aesthetic Plus it actually had a unique and interesting magic system AND an intoxicatingly vicious political aspect going on. And, dude, I didn't get confused or overwhelmed. Details were sparse but pointed.

Who's marrying this book at dawn?? Haha not me...don't...be ridiculous....

Caro was an AMAZING protagonist! She's stubborn and feisty and loyal and brave. She's in love with the water and her boat and when her dad gets thrown into jail for not smuggling something for the royalty? CARO DOES IT. Aka she gets a letter of the marque and becomes a privateer. Caro...my hero. She's also biracial! And she will stab you in the eye if you insult her ship.

I also LOVED the romance! It's pure hate-to-love with Caro getting entangled with an important and stuffily vain boy who needs her help. Their banter is EXCEPTIONAL. Mostly because they hate each other. I ship these two onboard their little ship as the most aesthetic of ships. #PetitionToDrownCaitIfSheSaysSHIPOneMoreTime Markos is forever my favourite. He dresses nicely, he has no idea what anything does on a ship (#relatable), and he fiercely loves his family (who aren't so great but what can you do) and he is badass when he's finished being vain. THE MOST INSUFFERABLE AND BEAUTIFUL BOY.

The plot was engaging the whole time! Although all the sea/ship explanations lost me. However it did make the book feel real?? I mean, hi, there's a rope and a the ship has a bow and yadda ya can we go blow something up now pls. There was plenty of sailing and gunshots and sneaking around like skulking pirates. Which they were. So apt.

My only dislikes? Dude, not much! I totally guessed ALL the plot twists. And it didn't catch me very emotionally because, despite the excitingly daring stakes, I still felt rather safe the whole time.

ALL IN ALL: This is a completely murky story of rivers and pirates, of smugglers and guns, of sea gods and monsters. It was beautifully and engagingly written with characters I fell totally in love with! I WANT MORE. I love love looooved the ending. And I adored how much it empowered women and just gave us the badass female pirates we've all been longing for. Hush. You've longed for it. I SEE IT IN YOUR EYES. Also add in magic Shadowmen and gods of the depths, and my heart is won. <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of the Current.

August 31, 2016 – Shelved
August 31, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 30, 2017 – Started Reading
May 30, 2017 –
30.0% "Tarquin: Your boat is a stupid wooden bucket.
Caro: You're a spoiled insufferable boy and I'll feed you to the pirates.
Me: YOU TWO ARE ADORABLE AND I SHIP IT."
June 1, 2017 –
45.0% "Markos had lost some of the shadows under his eyes. He'd emerged on deck with his hair damp and face pink from fresh scrubbing, looking much more like his usual self.
Of course, his usual self was still annoying.

Will they stab each other in the throat??? Kiss??? Rule the world??? Set each other on fire??? WHO CAN KNOW. IT'S ALL A SURPRISE."
June 3, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star
June 3, 2017 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
June 3, 2017 – Shelved as: pirates
June 3, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
June 3, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 3, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Love this review and am hoping to buy in a couple of weeks when it's out in my local bookshop. And of course I've longed for badass female pirates. This makes me excited! :)

Sophie This book sounds amazing! Pre-ordering now.

C.G. Drews @Kelly: IT IS SO GOOD!! I hope you enjoy it too. :D

@Sophie: My work here is done. XD

message 4: by Ellen Gail (new)

Ellen Gail Love the review Cait! And NEVER stop with the puns! I saildom dislike a pun lol!

Sreya *patiently waits for Cait's review*
Ok thank god you liked it because I bought it a few days ago :)

C.G. Drews @EllenGail: Life is always better with puns. :')

@Sreya: Ahh you're in for a good time!!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Great review and it read like a five star review, not a four. I'll get my hands on this one soon.

Angela C I just started this book a few minutes ago, so I'm thrilled that you loved it. Now I can't wait to get to the part where Markos is introduced!

C.G. Drews @Terry: Basically a 4.5 star read for me. ;) I just needed it to give a teeny tiny bit more, but otherwise I'm totally thrilled by it!

@Angela: YAS! I hope you enjoy it too!!

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) definitely starting this book next!

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Rachel: Eeeep, I can't wait to see your review!

message 12: by sue (new)

sue Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed this one :)

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Sue1958: Huzzah yes.

message 14: by Rayna (new)

Rayna I'm so excited to read this one!

Laura If you like this one you should check out The Abyss Surrounds Us! Lesbian pirates in a sci-fi dystopian future with a healthy respectful relationship, badass female pirate captain, Asian lead and a whole lot of diverse and complex characters. It’s incredible <3

Astral Zilfino If you like badass female pirates just as much as I do, then you must read Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller. I just finished the second book today and I blew me out of the water (haha puns) it does not disappoint but exceeds all expectations. I love it love it love it.

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Astral: Thanks for the rec! I actually own it but haven't read it yet (shame I know haha) but I'm so glad it's amazing! That makes me even more excited to start.

message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Laura: Omg that sounds AMAZING. NEED.