Justin's Reviews > The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

2027950
Jun 06, 2011

I've never read anything by Jon Ronson so I wasn't sure what to expect. I heard an interview with him about this book and was fascinated by the subject matter. I was not disappointed, this book is extremely interesting. I like Ronson's style a great deal, and his writing is very approachable. I came to respect him a lot for his ability to acknowledge his weaknesses and then go forward despite them.

Ronson has a great ability in communicating his perspective to the reader. He is very clear about his own biases and often accounts for them through out the novel. It was refreshing to have an author admit that he was he was becoming overzealous with his knowledge of psychopaths. Secretly diagnosing everyone around him, often incorrectly.

The overall message to the book is a little unclear. The only message I got from it is that the world is full of crazy people, who cannot help how they are, they cannot be "fixed", and they have a huge impact on our society. Not exactly mind shattering, but it's the "cannot be fixed" part I think Ronson struggles with the most through out his journey.

This is a must read for anyone interested in Psychology. If you are like me and have general fascination with the odd and the unusual, you will like this a great deal. This as a nice break from my usual regimen of Fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Psychopath Test.

June 6, 2011 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 7, 2011 – Finished Reading

Petra X I'm reading this book right now. Its good, so far, but Them: Adventures with Extremists was much better.

message 2: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie Justin, I appreciated your level headed review. Based on what you said I want to read the book. Thanks.