Vicki G's Reviews > Franny and Zooey

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

Jun 06, 2011

bookshelves: classic

I liked Holden Caulfied better than Zooey, but I'm not sure why. I think it has to do with the fact that Zooey calls his mother Bessie, and I have no understanding of why he would do that. But then, so does Frannie.
If anyone knows why that is, feel free to let me in on a possible reason. I can't think of any that make any sense. I mean he doesn't do it just to get under her skin, which was my first thought; that becomes apparent in the bathroom scene when he calls her Bessie even when he's not that upset with her. And even more obvious when you learn that Frannie, who's quite charming compared to Zooey, also calls her Bessie.
For the record, I don't hate Zooey either. Which surprises me b/c I'm the type of person who has a hard time seeing shades of gray in situations and especially people.
He's hilarious when he tells Bessie that he has the least number of problems in the family, b/c when he DOES have an issue, what he does is just invite people into the bathroom to talk to him while he's in the tub.
That was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing through that bathroom scene.

Okay. This book is sort of confusing. For one thing, he uses all sorts of words I've never heard of. I'm not a college graduate. I have a 2-year degree in an area of study. One of the professors at my chosen school made a pointed reference to it, determined to let me know that my education doesn't qualify at the same level as a BA or BS, MS or Ph.D. I used to live with someone who had a Ph.D and he said there was an old saying for those letters BS, MS and Ph.D, which meant piled higher and deeper. The BS and MS are relatively self-explanatory if you begin with the BS.
However, I feel greatly inadequate in the face of words like jivanmuktas, bodhisattvas and arhats. I felt LESS inadequate after looking them up, b/c they refer to Hindu philosophy. Not everyone is educated in that area, but I also had to look up matriculating, which I'd never heard of even when I was matriculating myself.
I still like his style of writing though. He's got to be the only writer I've read; besides Kelly Braffet, Cherie Priest and Joe Hill; who doesn't think he's all that and a hundred dollar bill.
I wish more writers would write like Kelly, Cherie and Joe do, b/c I really enjoy reading a story for the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Franny and Zooey.

Quotes Vicki Liked

J.D. Salinger
“I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect.”

J.D. Salinger
“I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.”

J.D. Salinger
“And I can't be running back and fourth forever between grief and high delight.”

June 6, 2011 – Shelved