Alissa's Reviews > Everyone We've Been

Everyone We've Been by Sarah Everett

1915434

it was ok
Read 2 times. Last read October 6, 2016.

First of all, the cover is pretty. It's so, SOOOOO pretty with soft colors all muted and blended like an Impressionist painting. It's the sort of book cover that calls out to potential readers, "Pick me up! Read me!"

Beyond that...

This book is basically The Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind...but without Jim Carey trying to be all serious (and failing) and without the dude who played Frodo (I think it was the dude who played Frodo) being all creepy-stalkery (and creepily succeeding-ew!). Oh yeah, the Titanic chick was in there too. This book also has A LOT more angst.

It begins with Addison, a scatterbrained high school senior who would probably misplace her head if it wasn't attached to her shoulders. And even then... Names, dates, and even people she knows slip right through her memory. But it's more than just plain old Senior-itus that's causing Addison's mental lapses. Turns out she's had some crazy mad scientists delve into her mind and extract certain memories. Namely those of Zack, her ex-boyfriend of six (or so) months who she obsessed over and *gasp!* caught cheating. Unable to cope and move on, like a normal teen eventually would, Addison goes into a depression spiral that finally lands her in the hands of the scientists at Overton Clinic and their trusty memory vacuum. Slurp! Guess something went wrong, though, because a year later, Addison starts to remember Zack. She sees him everywhere, even when he's not really there (or is he?). She starts to obsess, obsess, obsess. Again. Also, other things slide past her. Is it any wonder her parents are so over-protective? (Reviewer's note: Addy, girl. You should have just gone to the Men in Black. They'd have flashy-thinged that boy right out of your head forever and replaced him with thoughts of Happy Trees, Dancing Bears, and Rainbow Unicorns farting even more rainbows.) Predictablly, Addison eventually uncovers the truth of Zack and what she had done to herself because of him...and she begins accepting that Zack was a complete jerk who wasn't worth all the grief and trouble and she should get on with her life. Nice little neatly wrapped-up ending.

So the idea of the story was a good one. When I first heard about it, it sounded like a read-alike for Belzhar, a book I enjoyed and that had a rare twist I didn't see coming. This book was, unfortunately, not that. It was very predictable. Even if the main spoiler hadn't been written into the synopsis printed on the cover, it was predictable. I ended up skimming through a lot of it to weed out the filler and get to the main points. I don't think I could have gotten through it otherwise.

The verdict: My overall reaction to this book is lukewarm, at best. It wasn't completely awful. It had potential. But it wasn't the fantastic story I hoped it would be. It'll likely end up being one of those books I read and forget months later. And I won't even need a memory wipe to do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everyone We've Been.

August 29, 2016 – Shelved
August 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 5, 2016 – Started Reading (Library Binding Edition)
October 5, 2016 – Shelved (Library Binding Edition)
Started Reading
October 6, 2016 – Finished Reading (Library Binding Edition)
October 6, 2016 – Finished Reading