Jen 's Reviews > To Love and to Cherish

To Love and to Cherish by Lauren Layne

3 Take the Chance Stars

“Logan. I don’t understand you like this. I don’t get what you want from me.”
He stared into her eyes. “Yes. You do.”

Still waters run deep.

For most of her life, Alexis has wanted nothing more than to be a wedding planner in NYC. And not just any wedding planner. She set out to set the standard for posh, elegant affairs and after years of hard work, her and her business, The Wedding Belles, have finally reached an exclusive level of success. Sought after by the wealthy, famous and discriminating alike, Alexis’ main focus continues to be her business. The problem? In her early thirties and after years of sacrificing her social life for the sake of her work, how can she make the shift and start focusing on finding a man?

She only knew that going there with Logan, even in her thoughts, meant complicating things. Complicating things meant risk. And she couldn’t risk losing Logan. She wouldn’t.

From the time Logan first saw Alexis across a not so crowded pub, he knew she was the woman he wanted for the long haul. An afternoon of talking and getting to know each other leads to a relationship that makes them Wedding Belles business partners. And that’s it. For years, Logan’s bided his time and kept to his silent partner arrangement, but now that Alexis is finally ready to settle down? All bets are off.

First things first, this book has been more than difficult for me to apply an accurate rating to. On the one hand, my expectations for this were incredibly high. I’ve wanted Alexis and Logan’s story from the beginning, so I’m not discounting the fact I really wanted to love this one and that anticipation may have ended up clouding my judgment.

On the other hand, To Love and to Cherish took some effort for me to get through. The writing is Lauren Layne level great but to put it bluntly, Alexis and Logan bored the ever loving crap out of me. I should’ve expected that because, realistically, their characters haven’t set the bar for entertainment value when they’ve been featured in the other books of the series. I guess a part of me was hoping Logan would turn all primitive caveman and show Alexis exactly what he planned to do with her. Or Alexis would relax long enough to realize Logan’s a hot piece of ass and perfect for her. In my head, I know that would’ve been disingenuous to both characters but I still had my fingers crossed.

When it’s all said and done, I did end up enjoying To Love and to Cherish but I never ended up fully connecting with the characters like I’d hoped.

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Love and to Cherish.

August 29, 2016 – Shelved
August 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 19, 2016 – Shelved as: arc-net-galley
September 29, 2016 – Started Reading
September 29, 2016 –
5.0% "I was trying to hold off starting this but...yeah, not so much.\n\n"
October 3, 2016 – Finished Reading
October 7, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
October 7, 2016 – Shelved as: dual-pov
October 7, 2016 – Shelved as: friends-to-luvahs
October 7, 2016 – Shelved as: part-of-a-series
October 7, 2016 – Shelved as: strong-and-silent

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

maggieandteddy I'm looking for the NOT LIKE button! Book envy to the max. I didn't get this one :( boo hoo

Jen maggieandteddy wrote: "I'm looking for the NOT LIKE button! Book envy to the max. I didn't get this one :( boo hoo"

Awww, sorry M&T. If it makes you feel any better, I'm at 45% and it's a wee bit slow still. If this keeps up, I'm 3 staring this baby and I never thought I'd say that. I was REALLY looking forward to it :-/

Wendy'sThoughts enjoy my pal :DDD

maggieandteddy Oh? I pre-ordered, but I'll wait for your review. I've got tons o' books so I shouldn't be so whiny. :) Good luck, 45% should be pickin' up the pace by now.

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Happy Reading! :D

⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰ Great review Jen :) x

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy Amazing review, Jen! xoxo

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Superb review, babes! I loved For Better or Worse...I'm sorry this one didn't live up to our expectations. I wonder now if I'll love it.

message 9: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Wonderful review, Jen! ❤️ Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Fab review, Jen!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Great review, woman! xx

Jen Eve wrote: "Happy Reading! :D"

Thanks, Eve! :D

Jen Alicia wrote: "Great review Jen :) x"

Thanks, sweetie! :)

Jen Christy wrote: "Amazing review, Jen! xoxo"

Thanks, Christy! xx

Jen Astrid - ✿ˑ☆ Vanilla & Spice Books ☆ˑ✿ wrote: "Superb review, babes! I loved For Better or Worse...I'm sorry this one didn't live up to our expectations. I wonder now if I'll love it."

Thanks, babe! I loved ForBetter or Worse, too, which is why this one disapointed me even more. But it looks like I'm the only one who felt this way so I'm hoping you still love it :))

Jen Jen wrote: "Wonderful review, Jen! ❤️ Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations."

Thanks, hon! xx

Jen Danielle wrote: "Fab review, Jen!"

Thanks, Danielle!

Jen Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ wrote: "Great review, woman! xx"

Thanks, woman! xx

Jen Nancy✦SteamyReadsBlog✦ wrote: "Fab review, lady! xo"

Thanks, sweetie! :)

Jen Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover wrote: "Nice review hun!"

Thanks, Sher :))

message 22: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Brilliant review Jen! Sorry it didn't quite thrill you. :)

message 23: by Candace (new)

Candace Great review, Jen! :)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Terrific review, babe! ;)

message 25: by Judith (new)

Judith Great review,sweetheart,x

Jen Judith wrote: "Great review,sweetheart,x"

Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Terrific review, babe! ;)"

Candace wrote: "Great review, Jen! :)"

Aisling Zena wrote: "Brilliant review Jen! Sorry it didn't quite thrill you. :)"

Thank you, sweet ladies!

Amanda I'm not loving the series so far and I'm seriously hoping Alexis and Logan can step it up. Guess this whole series just doesn't work for me.

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth You were generous. I rated it 2.5 >.<

Jen Amanda wrote: "I'm not loving the series so far and I'm seriously hoping Alexis and Logan can step it up. Guess this whole series just doesn't work for me."

I'm hoping this works better for you than it did for me, Amanda

Jen Astrid - ✿ˑ☆ Vanilla & Spice Books ☆ˑ✿ wrote: "You were generous. I rated it 2.5 >.<"

Yeah, it was difficult to rate for me but I still enjoy LL's writing overall so I had to give it the bump :)

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth That's the problem...I LOVE Lauren Layne. This series though was generally a hit or miss for me. Book 1 and 3 were fabulous. 2 and 4 not so much :(

Jen Astrid - ✿ˑ☆ Vanilla & Spice Books ☆ˑ✿ wrote: "That's the problem...I LOVE Lauren Layne. This series though was generally a hit or miss for me. Book 1 and 3 were fabulous. 2 and 4 not so much :("

Yes! That sums it up perfectly. Maybe I just need to reread 3 ;)