Claire Fuller's Reviews > Commonwealth

Commonwealth by Ann Patchett

bookshelves: read-in-2016

Oh, this book. Everyone should read it. It's simple: about a family of step children, siblings, step parents and parents. And it's complicated: how children can change when they become adults, how something you did as a child can have a profound and everlasting impact. There's tragedy, but the book shows how the characters live through it, and there's things done wrong, and the book shows how we can survive that too. Forgiveness, love, just human life.
And it is beautifully written. Reading it is not like reading at all; it's like being there.
Go and read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Commonwealth.

August 28, 2016 – Shelved
August 28, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 6, 2016 – Started Reading
October 8, 2016 – Finished Reading
October 12, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Allison Ah -- have really wanted to get to this one. Your review pushes it up even more. Thank you for this!

Elyse Walters LOVE how you expressed this book!!! Excellent.... it really is one of the best books of the year I think

message 3: by Leo (new)

Leo Walsh This is on my "maybe I'll read" list. SInce it showed up on several essential fall 2016/ winter 2017 reading lists. This review is a strong recommendation. Even though, being male, it may bit a little out of my wheelhouse.

message 4: by Leo (new)