Janelle Dazzlepants's Reviews > Privilege

Privilege by Kate Brian

Jun 06, 2011

bookshelves: chick-lit, murder-mystery, young-adult
Read on June 06, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I had no idea what to expect from this book, all I knew was that the Privilege series revolved around Ariana post-trying-to-kill-Reed. I didn't have any expectations, but I was really bloody impressed!

I really really really love hearing Ariana's POV, her twisted psyche is fascinating and she's not annoying like Reed. The author finds a way to make me empathise with and unwittingly cheer Ariana on, so that I sit there thinking 'poor girl, she killed the wrong person again' rather than 'HOLY SHIT SHE JUST KILLED SOMEONE'. It's cool how she reads people and always has a plan. The Private series portrays her as this spoiled crazy bitch who lost it, but she's much more complex and calculating.

Kate Brian did a really great job in building suspense with Privilege, I found myself stressing out whenever Ariana was close to getting caught. It reminded me of how I used to freak out as a kid over that scene in Jurassic Park with the raptors in the kitchen - I just had to tell myself that it was a movie, and the actors were hiding/running from CGI figures. I had to remind myself that this was just fiction, and that Ariana was obviously going to survive to see the next book :P

I like how there's another plotarc going on with Kaitlynn, rather than just 'oh look at Ariana try to steal this dead girl's identity'. After seeing the vicious letter from Kaitlynn I totally believed she'd killed Mr Covington (despite Ariana going back and forth on the issue), yet I was totally blindsided by her transformation in the forest. There's so much potential with this plotarc, and I can't wait to see where Kate Brian goes with it - I'm just hoping she doesn't put it down to witchcraft again!

I want to know more about the chronology of the Private vs. Privilege series. Kiran, Noelle and Taylor go to Ariana's 'funeral', but this is never mentioned in the Private series. Taylor has put on weight, yet when we see her in Paradise Lost she's slimmed down drastically. Kiran has cut her hair short, but I don't remember what her hair was like in the last few books. I'm guessing the funeral is after the events of Ominous, because I'm sure Ariana's funeral would've been public knowledge at Easton. I'm hoping this is clarified in the next Private or Privilege book.

Overall:I honestly don't have anything to critique about this book, aside from not buying the whole did-she-do-it? back and forth with Kaitlynn. I love the main character, the storyline, the new characters and new world that Kate Brian has created. The chronology raises a few questions, but doesn't affect the readability of the text. Basically, if you loved Last Christmas (Private Prequel) and hearing Ariana's POV, you'll adore Privilege.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Privilege.

06/06/2011 page 291