zelle (fragilemyths)'s Reviews > Stalking Jack the Ripper

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

19862820

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, historical-fiction, retellings, paranormal, young-adult

Hmm I'm kind of mixed about this one. There were parts that I absolutely LOVED (*cough* dammit Thomas Cresswell why are you so obnoxiously brilliant it's quite unfair) but at the same time I had problems with other things...

I was prepared to like Audrey Rose. And at first, I did. Strong female character who isn't afraid of going against stiff rules of propriety during the Victorian era? Count me in!

But as the book progressed, she became more and more frustrating to read. It was like watching her lose brain cells gradually. (view spoiler) I felt like she should have used her apprenticeship with her uncle to hone her deductive reasoning instead of limiting herself to just using it while examining corpses.

I was NOT prepared for the (sometimes) creepy photos that were included in the book! I clearly remember flipping a page at the end of a chapter, and then BAM. THERE WAS A DETAILED PHOTO OF A MAN WITH LEPROSY. I. WAS. SHOOK. It kind of reminded me of the photo of the wight from Ransom Riggs' Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children trilogy.

But holy hell, Thomas Cresswell. (heh that rhymed) I think I have a thing for snarky, sarcastic as shit characters because I enjoyed reading his lines so damn much. Like, I'm pretty sure I just booked a one-way ticket to Hell for loving SUCH AN ARROGANT, FIENDISH PERSON. Despite all his cold, calculating logic and unrelenting arrogance, he's really such a softie at heart. I'm not going to even try denying that although it was predictable, I liked the romance between Thomas and Audrey. Thomas reminds me so much of Sherlock Holmes, and Audrey Rose is like his Watson.

(view spoiler)

Overall, I'd say that I enjoyed reading Stalking Jack the Ripper. It's a unique retelling that had the right amount of suspense surrounding the plot (even if I did guess correctly who the Ripper was, am I Sherlock Holmes Thomas Cresswell yet?!) and the romance was quite cute. The ending wrapped things up nicely and warmed my heart after reading the first bone-chilling three-fourths of the book. I'd recommend it for people who like darker mysteries and don't mind a couple of creepy photos thrown in.

final rating: 3.5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stalking Jack the Ripper.

August 27, 2016 – Shelved
August 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 23, 2016 – Started Reading
November 23, 2016 – Shelved as: books-i-own
November 23, 2016 –
page 90
27.61% "THOMAS. CRESSWELL. OMFG. \n\nerrr also page 90 freaked me out a bit because i was NOT expecting it!!"
November 23, 2016 – Shelved as: historical-fiction