Jason Fischer's Reviews > Allison Hewitt Is Trapped

Allison Hewitt Is Trapped by Madeleine Roux

it was ok

I first picked up this book due to the interesting concept, "Allison Hewitt is Trapped" being a stitch-up work designed from a blogged novel. I truly wanted to enjoy this book, and while the basic idea appealed to me, for several reasons the narrative is flawed and ultimately did not deliver the goods.

It's a brave experiment, attempting to invest chick-lit sensibilities into a post-apocalyptic piece, but one that just doesn't gell when you look at suspension of disbelief. The upbeat aspects of this narrative are a welcome relief from the grinding ennui typical to this subgenre, but when held up against Maslow's hierarchy of needs, the episodic moon-calf introspection of the protagonist is completely misplaced. I just couldn't buy that characters in absolute mortal peril would frequently pause to cogitate about their relationships, have extended D&Ms, and all continuously engage in sassy upbeat dialogue in this somewhat sanitised apocalypse.

Of course characters have relationships, even in wars and natural disasters, but the stakes are significantly higher at these times, the moments of love much more fragile and poignant. This just reads like a post-pubescent's initial approach to awkward romantic liaisons, occasionally interrupted by starvation and what should be a terrifying wave of rotting cannibal corpses (but aren't).

(And seriously, how is there a working wireless router every 3 blocks, when the wheels have fallen off everything else?)

That's not to say there aren't enjoyable plot twists in this story, but the supporting characters are cipher-like at best, the protagonist is a Mary Sue if ever there was one, and the framing aspects of the chapters (comments threads from the blogged experience of the protagonist) are distracting.

Humour in such a dark setting is hard to pull off, but I'm gonna have to sadly give a thumbs down to this genre mash-up. Apparently there's a sequel to this book, I'd be interested to see if a purpose-written novel in a standard format is a better vehicle for this concept.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allison Hewitt Is Trapped.

June 5, 2011 – Started Reading