Lola 's Reviews > Still Life with Tornado

Still Life with Tornado by A.S. King

bookshelves: abuse, magical-realism, family, art

‘‘Still Life with Tornado’’ had me fooled.

I thought it was all about Sarah and her teenage existential crisis at first.

But it’s not… just about her. It’s about her, her mother, her father, her brother, her family, her future and her past.

I’ve read dozens and dozens of books dealing with the topic of abuse, yet this one manages to explore the theme in an original way, while keeping a realistic quality to it.

A.S. King’s writing moved me. It turned my insides into knots. It made me hold my breath for at least half of the novel. And I probably looked really silly as I read it with my eyes wide open and my mouth agape, always waiting and waiting and hoping and hoping for the nightmarish lie to end.

I was scotched to the screen the whole time. It may be a slow-paced story, but I never once lost interest. And granted, A.S. King’s writing style may be simplistic if you decapitate paragraphs and look at each sentence, but if you behold the whole, you will realize how much lyrical dept there is in it.

The magical realism took me by surprise, although I expected it. I thought Sarah seeing her ten-year-old self and other selves were meant to make her realize something about herself and, eventually, heal her of her crisis, but their roles are extremely different. As I said before, this is not only about Sarah.

Which brings me to her mother’s point of views. It was a good thing A.S. King included them in the plot, because they answer questions many readers may have while reading this. Plus it makes her such a likeable and thoughtful character/mother to our eyes. At first I thought she was vulnerable, but there is strength in her. Not everyone would protect the ones they love from harm’s way the way she does.

A thought-provoking story I’m hoping will speak to many of its readers.

Blog | Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin’

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Life with Tornado.

August 26, 2016 – Started Reading
August 27, 2016 – Shelved
August 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Adam (new) - added it

Adam Silvera I JUST got a copy of this TODAY and the first couple pages were irresistible.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Veras Ok, Lola, I'm sold. *sits to wait for october*

Neil (or bleed) OMG OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS. Great review, Lola!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ I adore this author and I can't wait to read this one!! Have you read Please Ignore Vera Dietz? It's my absolute fave from her <3 Great review Lola!

Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen Great review, Lola. Can't wait to read this!

message 6: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Lovely review, Lola!! :D i haven't read any A.S. King novels before. I'm looking forward to read one soon.

message 7: by *eKa* (new)

*eKa* Great review, Lola. I adore writing styles so much. So even if the pace is slow, that's just okay with me.

sreeja (hiatus) great review lola! the book sounds amazing and i definitely have to check it out after reading your review :))

message 9: by Candace (new)

Candace Fantastic review, Lola! :)

Lola Thanks so much! It's so incredibly moving and impossible to put down!

message 11: by Henz (new)

Henz I think I can't handle reading heavy stuff for now but your review captivated me to read this one. Nice one Lola.

Cassandra {semi-hiatus} This one sounds like something I need to get my hands on!!! Amazon, here I come. Beautiful review, Lola!!

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea This author writes magical, dreamy books!