Brittani's Reviews > Rosemarked

Rosemarked by Livia Blackburne

bookshelves: fantasy, arcs, preordered, own, physical-copy, signed, series, reread, read-in-2018, 4-5
Read 2 times. Last read September 9, 2018.

I really enjoyed this! It's been a couple years since I read a Livia Blackburne book, but her writing just has this nice, familiar style that I really enjoy. I love how complicated everything about this book is, from the characters to their many different relationships and how those complications are addressed throughout the book. Much of the book left me making pained noises, as things just kept getting more and more complicated and difficult for the two main characters. I really appreciated the way Blackburne handled Dineas' PTSD, although I wish he had talked about it with someone (that's more because I want him to heal in some way than a fault of the book - it's entirely in character for him to not speak about it). I also greatly enjoyed the way Zivah deals with the realities of being rosemarked and what that means for her and her place in her society.

My one small complaint is there are some abrupt time shifts throughout the book. While I appreciate moving the plot along, the time shifts kinda happened out of nowhere. It would just be "three weeks later..." in the next paragraph. This might be due to the formatting of the arc and there might be some kind of marker in the finalized copy, so it wasn't a huge issue and I could still follow along. Really, I just wanted to read more about these characters and all their interactions, so even though it might've slowed the plot I still personally would've appreciated more.

Fans of An Ember in the Ashes and The Winner's Curse should give this a try! I highly recommend it for its complicated look at relationships, war, and healing.

I was provided a free copy of this book on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosemarked.

August 27, 2016 – Shelved
August 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 12, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 13, 2017 – Started Reading
June 13, 2017 – Shelved as: arcs
June 17, 2017 –
45.0% "I'm really liking this so far! hopefully I'll be able to finish it by tomorrow"
June 18, 2017 – Finished Reading