Toni's Reviews > The Soldier's Wife

The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy

F 50x66
Jun 05, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction, multi-cultural, travel, war-stories, channel-islands
Recommended for: Lynne, Chrissie,
Read from July 07 to 13, 2011

Loved it! Something about books with an island setting always draw me in. I've become greatly intrigued with The Channel Islands in particular ever since reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. This book only served to reinforce that fascination.

The Soldier's Wife had so much to say - about human dignity and perseverance and the make-do spirit and compassion (and yes, passion too). Sure, the inhabitants of Guernsey Island who survived the Nazi occupation between 1939 to 1945 provide a rich backdrop for a novel, but it takes a talented writer to transport the reader to that time and place. Margaret Leroy did just that for me.

It seems to me that war disallows us to look at our enemy on an individual, personal basis, instead labeling an entire group as wrong and/or evil. And yet, we know that each side is made up of human beings with homes and families and pets and talents much like each of us. The Soldier's Wife gives us a glimpse into people forced through circumstances beyond their control to live side by side while technically remaining enemies. I believe this story will linger with me a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soldier's Wife.

04/12/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I will let you read this first! :0)

Lynne Me too!

Toni So far I am really enjoying this. Makes me want to add Guernsey Island to the bucket list. In addition to it's obvious scenic attractions and history it seems to be the inspiration for many writers (Victor Hugo spent 15 years there where he wrote much of his best work).

message 4: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Can't wait to read your whole review. What color are the Guernsy cows? Black and white or brown and white?

message 5: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Thank you, Toni! I have added it. Sounds intriguing.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne Me too. I was wondering how it would compare to Potato Peel society and read reviews which weren't so good. Glad you liked it so much because Guernsey is on my bucket list as well.

message 7: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Anne, at least in Europe, it is not available for the Kindle! :0(

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne It is available here. I just downloaded the sample. I'll let you know what I think. I've read so many positives and negatives. Now I have to see for myself.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne p.s. it's not available for lending.

message 10: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Anne, thanks for checking. Unfortunately it might remain so even so even when it is available here!

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne You might be right. I really hope things change eventually.

message 12: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Yeah.

message 13: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie This is now available with the title The Collaborator at Audible. :0)

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary Maybe you guys can help me: I have been searching for a similar sounding book for the past three years. It's also set during WWII. It's about a middle class English girl who marries into the upper crust society. Her husband is drafted, supposedly killed in action. She falls in love with another man, she finds out her husband is alive, he returns, heart break ensues. There is also a sub plot of her sister in law being abused by her supposed war hero husband. There are also some refugees that she takes in... Can't for the life of me remember the title and it's so irritating!! Any help?

message 15: by Toni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Toni I don't know, but it sounds like something I would like to read. I did recently finish a book with a similar theme - letters from an American to a Scottish woman poet, over the course of several years they fall in love through communication - her husband is in WWI, missing, presumed dead, etc., etc. It is called "Letters from Skye."

message 16: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Mary, I don't know that one either. Sorry I could not help.

message 17: by Gina (new) - added it

Gina I recently finished Potato Peel Pie Society and LOVED it, so naturally this one caught my eye too. I hope it's as good!

message 18: by Toni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Toni Gina wrote: "I recently finished Potato Peel Pie Society and LOVED it, so naturally this one caught my eye too. I hope it's as good!"

Probably not as good, but still a worthwhile read.