Rebecca Huston's Reviews > Palace Walk

Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfouz

Jun 05, 2011

bookshelves: 2012-around-the-world-in-52-books, egypt, 12-for-2012-challenge, 20th-century

A very smart, moving novel about a very dysfunctional family in Cairo, Egypt during the British occupation, and the events leading up to the 1919 Revolution. I found it to be a compelling novel, and while the main character of Ahmad is one of the most despicable that I've ever come across, I found myself wanting to know more. Very accessable to non-Arabic readers, and very enjoyable. Two sequels follow. Five stars overall, and very much recommended.

For the longer review, please go here:
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palace Walk.

June 5, 2011 – Shelved
October 21, 2011 – Shelved as: 2012-around-the-world-in-52-books
October 21, 2011 – Shelved as: egypt
December 6, 2011 – Shelved as: 12-for-2012-challenge
November 15, 2012 – Started Reading
November 15, 2012 – Shelved as: 20th-century
November 15, 2012 –
page 50
9.19% "The family of Ahmad Abd al-Jawal is introduced, along with plenty of quirks. Set in Cairo, Egypt in the early 20th century, first of a trilogy."
November 16, 2012 –
page 99
18.2% "We learn more about the three sons -- all of whom are messed up. The setting seems to be that of World War One."
November 17, 2012 –
page 143
26.29% "Yasin's mother is about to marry -- again. Ahmad starts a furious pursuit and affair with Zubayda, a singer, of which no good can possibly come. And Kamal hears things he shouldn't."
November 18, 2012 –
page 221
40.63% "Ahmad has just committed an act of extreme cruelty and ego -- throwing Amina out his home after a perceived slight to his authority. Time to chuck the fire irons at him."
November 20, 2012 –
page 357
65.63% "Yasin finds out his father's secret life, then makes quite a mistake. Aisha gets married, and Khadija has quite a surprise. Ahmad continues to be a pig."
November 21, 2012 –
page 544
100.0% "More scandal rocks the family, and disaster strikes."
November 21, 2012 – Finished Reading