Liza Wiemer's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

3152001

bookshelves: post-about-the-book-on-my-blog

I renewed this book from the library because I had a few false starts. Once I got rolling, I couldn't put it down. Boy, this was a heartbreaker. Suicide is a tragedy that sticks with you forever, and my life has been touched by it. I lost my favorite babysitter to suicide. She was a beautiful high school student and every time she came over we had the best time together doing art projects, going to the park, baking. One day she didn't show up, because a few hours before she locked herself in the garage and turned the car on. She died of carbon monoxide poisoning. I never knew why she killed herself and after all these years, I still think about her and wonder. Thirteen Reasons Why shows how a teen's life can go spiraling out of control. I wonder if this book had been available years ago if perhaps it would have been a deterrent, perhaps saving my babysitter's life. I know there's a lot of controversy going around Twitter right now over the Wall Street Journal article about "dark" YA novels, but they have an important place. I bet Thirteen Reasons Why has already saved some lives and will continue to do so in the future. Dark, painful, heartbreaking - but nevertheless IMPORTANT.

Started Reading