Maureen's Reviews > The Troubles Keeper

The Troubles Keeper by Susan May

4.5 STARS!
*Thank you to Susan May for my ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review*

On the face of it, Rory Fine is exactly the same as all the other bus drivers working out of his depot, but never take things at face value, for Rory has a special gift - at the touch of his hand, a mere brush of the fingers, he has the ability to take away the troubles of his recipient.

One stormy night, Rory picks up on the negative feelings of his passengers, and he asks them to just brush his hand as they alight the bus. They all leave with a lighter heart and a great big smile on their faces - having been relieved of their troubles. However, on touching the hand of Mariana ( one of his regular passengers) he senses something very dark and dangerous. Rory loves Mariana, even though he barely knows her, and he believes she's in great danger.

There is a serial killer on the loose nicknamed 'The Trepan Killer' a sick and sadistic killer, and if he seeks you out, there's nowhere to hide, as he appears to have supernatural abilities that allow him to find his prey.

Initially I didn't connect with Rory's character, but as the pace picked up, I found that his character became more gritty and well rounded in his fight against this dark soul, which incidentally, makes Rory's powers pale in comparison.

As the story found its feet, I found myself racing through the pages in time with Rory's desperate fight against very dark forces.

This was quite a unique take on a serial killer and the author (as I've discovered before) is brilliant at creating a storyline that leaves the reader breathless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubles Keeper.

August 27, 2016 – Started Reading
August 27, 2016 – Shelved
August 28, 2016 –
page 225
August 30, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

Maureen Her last book 'Deadly Messengers' was one of my favourites last year so I've got big expectations Stephanie.

message 2: by Frances (new)

Frances Hope you are enjoying Maureen!

Maureen It's been a slower start than I expected but the pace has picked up considerably Frances.

message 4: by Maureen (last edited Aug 30, 2016 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maureen Thanks Stephanie, Susan, Lilia, Susan May & Karin.

message 5: by Frances (new)

Frances Maureen wrote: "It's been a slower start than I expected but the pace has picked up considerably Frances."

I see you enjoyed this one Maureen! Good 4* review; sounds very different! :-0)

Maureen I did Frances and it was very different, but I don't think you'd like it really ( a bit gory at times ) and I know how you feel about that.

message 7: by Frances (new)

Frances Maureen wrote: "I did Frances and it was very different, but I don't think you'd like it really ( a bit gory at times ) and I know how you feel about that."

lol ...... yep, I guess I'm loud and clear! Such a whimp. haha

Maureen No I understand Frances, you're not a wimp. Lol

message 9: by Allie (new)

Allie Great review Maureen, another for the TBR pile!

Maureen Ha ha ha yes I know the feeling Allie, thanks for the 'like'.

message 11: by Paromjit (new) - added it

Paromjit Wonderful review, Maureen. Appreciate the recommendation. x

Maureen Thanks Paromjit, if you're interested the synopsis for the book explains that the author will give a free ebook copy if you contact her. Don't worry if you're not that bothered though.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Wonderful review, Maureen! :)

Maureen Thank you Jennifer, really kind.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Nice review, Maureen! So glad you enjoyed it. :)

message 16: by Maureen (last edited Aug 30, 2016 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maureen Thank you Melissa & Sammi.

Maureen Thank you Diane & Heidi.

message 18: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan May Hi Maureen,

Thank you for a really fantastic review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was worried when I saw your comment about the slow start. I was hoping people would come along for the ride. I tried to make it as fast paced as I could knowing how much everyone loved Deadly Messengers pacing.

Sorry to stalk reviews but, as you know, I've been nervous what readers will think of this book since Deadly Messengers did so well and everyone was waiting for this one. Thanks for putting my mind a little at rest.

As you mentioned to your friends, I'm very happy to gift early readers' copies of this book plus, as a gift, I'll also throw in Deadly Messengers. I promise both have very different serial killers. So don't be shy and message me if you would like a free eCopy.

Thanks again, Maureen, I'm so thrilled. Now I will stalk back to my writing.

Maureen You're welcome Susan. I think with 'Deadly Messengers', the action started immediately so I was expecting the same, but you know that saying " everything comes to he who waits" Well it DID! Thank you for my copy and for another enjoyable read.

message 20: by Maureen (last edited Aug 31, 2016 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maureen Thanks Anna & Diane Lynn.

Maureen Thank you tearsline.

Maureen That's really kind tearsline.

message 23: by Maureen (last edited Sep 01, 2016 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maureen Thanks Malia , Mona & Kohey.Y.

Maureen Thanks a lot Stephanie.

Maureen Thank you Amanda & Louise.

message 26: by Deanna (new)

Deanna another great review, Maureen!!

Maureen Thank you so much Deanna.

message 28: by Maureen (last edited Nov 15, 2016 03:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maureen Thank you Meredith & kaceey.

Maureen Thank you so much Norma, that to read list is growing fast. Lol

message 31: by Maureen (last edited Nov 16, 2016 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maureen Thank you Brenda, Ameera, April, Raj & Wilma.

Maureen Thank you Dorreh.

Maureen Thank you Luffy.

Maureen Lol Norma!

Maureen Thank you Julie.

message 37: by Maureen (last edited Jun 04, 2017 02:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maureen Thank you Amalia & Mischenko, Ahmad.

message 38: by Maureen (last edited Jun 28, 2017 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maureen Thank you Majenta, V.

message 39: by Maureen (last edited Jul 30, 2017 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maureen Thank you Will, Nguyen.

Maureen Thanks Lynn😄

Maureen Thank you Miranda😄

Maureen Thanks Skye, Kelly, jv 🤗

message 43: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review!!😉💓💋💖

Maureen Kat wrote: "Excellent review!!😉💓💋💖"