L's Reviews > Crushed

Crushed by Laura McNeal

1120772
Aug 27, 2016

it was ok

Crushed was a very fast, easy read, but ultimately it fell flat and it didn't leave me feeling much of anything at all.

I felt the characters were one-dimensional and uninteresting, which is automatically a negative in a contemporary where the main requisite is that I need to care about these characters. The main character, Audrey, was very unlikeable and I couldn't quite feel any sympathy for her regarding the situation with her father or the woes in her relationship with Wickham. And Wickham? He is clearly supposed to be one of those "swoony" characters, but he screamed "slimmy" from his first introduction. Like Audrey, I felt no sympathy for him or his mother. (Speaking of his mother, what's with all the women in this book being defined by and/or obsessed with the men in their lives?) I'm completely at a loss for Theo's purpose except to present a very clear and present antagonist. The only reason I could connect on a tiny level emotionally with Clyde is because I recently experienced losing a parent slowly, but without that first-hand experience, it probably wouldn't have resonated either.

The fact that is most disheartening is that I felt this book had a lot of potential, but somehow, it glosses over all the issues and rushes itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crushed.

August 26, 2016 – Started Reading