Marie's Reviews > Pretty Face

Pretty Face by Lucy  Parker

bookshelves: 10-10-gay-for-the-heroine, favorites, prestige-wine-mom-bookclub, read-in-2017, daddy-kink, a-plus-positiv-female-relationships
Read 2 times. Last read March 20, 2017 to April 9, 2017.

listen, i have so much LOVE for this book that i promise i can't read it without weird noises coming out of me. i literally have no emotional control for it. IT IS THE WORST.

like all the lovers of 'act like it', i thought that there was a very high chance i would love 'pretty face' but there was no chance it would be as good as richard & lainie's story and... i was both right and wrong.

i was right because both books have very different stories and very different characters and there is only one richard troy and no one actually can be better than him (he's the ultimate grumpy british cat... sorry cat richard) and then there's lainie and their love story and just thinking about them gives me all the feels.

but i am also glad about how wrong i was. this book straight away came right next to act like it for so many reasons :
* for every references that were all a surprise and a joy : i mean, DETECTIVE MORSE, CAPTAIN VON TRAPP, PAUL AND JOANNE, THE THREE BEARS, OBI WAN KENOBI.....i am weak for references to my fav ;
* the oh-so-very-nice-writting-style, it won my heart on the first round and it got me again this time and all the feminist discourse bits were AMAZING ;
* the london theater setting, i am a london theater fangirl to the core and combined with romance, it's the perfect match (view spoiler) ;
* speaking of romance... luc and lily were the surprise. i like a well written slowly-falling-in-love story, lucy nailed it & i adore a well written gap trope... and i am in love with this take on the trope. it strongly reminded me of the ones rosamunde pilcher wrote, that rank so high in my heart (and influenced me so much that i can only see myself with someone at least 10 years older than me). luc and lily have a hell of a spark (their funny verbal fights were LIT) but also a great deal of tenderness and subtle meant-to-be feeling. they felt right together from the beginning and you only grow more and more fond of them with each chapter.

what came with no surprise is that i loved this, i just didn't knew how much i would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Face.

August 27, 2016 – Shelved