African Americans on the Move Book Club's Reviews > Harlem Nights and Footstep Blues

Harlem Nights and Footstep Blues by Julius Jamaal McLean

Aug 26, 2016

Julius J. McLean penned a novel from the brilliance of his mind. As I read his words during a time of conflict in our nation I could hear the musical soundtrack of my life behind his spoken words. We need to get back to our true roots of the spoken word to express our pain, hurt and prejudices.
This was a healing balm for a broken time for me. When I read the words of “A baby’s eyes I immediately went to my eighteen month old grand-daughter “what lives within a baby’s eyes? Things that we no longer realize are dear. A baby’s eyes don’t veer; away from the truth. A baby’s eyes are pure – Full of youth; and unbridled curiosity. A baby’s eyes inspire me…to be.”
Mclean spoke of “Mother Nellie” like all of our big mama’s, grand-mothers and Sadie’s. We all have one that “used to sit on the back pew.”
Mr. McLean speaks to a well lived life and reality for our brothers, sons, uncles, cousins and my male child with “Clipped Wings “coming home broken from the prison industry. I feel your hurt expressed through your soul.
Modern Day metropolitan cities in America Summer of 2016. Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Alton Sterling) and/or Chicago as we the elders fail our brethren in “Ghetto Born Dreams and the Sound of the Dead Body.”
I took issue with as would any Queen should with” Lost Love.” Only because he failed she, as he courted other girls. Learn from your lessons and commit. Find your Queen.
I was feeling Langston Hughes, James Baldwin and Stephanie Mills when I wished that I was “home.” When I got to “Temple” I was as much in a “Sanctuary” and close to spirituality as I can get. I wish your “Soul Deep” true love. “Vacuum” took me to the political arena of today leading up to the last days of our historical content of losing our first African-American President. Julius speaks to you about everything in his abstract words of prose.
May your soul, you words and truth take you around the world for movie soundtracks and success. Most of all I wish you enough… peace. Riveting, graceful, spoken words from love. Excellent spoken word of truth. (5) five stars.

Marilyn Diamond
AAMBC Reviewer

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harlem Nights and Footstep Blues.

Finished Reading