Gary's Reviews > Outriders

Outriders by Jay Posey

it was ok

Outriders is the latest example of a recent trend in science fiction reflecting present day anxieties over terrorism and surveillance state governance. In this iteration, a team of military intelligence agents work to prevent a war between (surprise!) the governments of Earth and Mars.
On the surface, Outriders has all the elements a good MilSF novel should have: nifty gadgets, solid teamwork, individual competence, cat and mouse war games, grunts vs. suits wrangling, military discipline vs. individual choice, et all. Posey is an efficient and balanced prose writer, whose style is an organic reflection of the world his characters inhabit.
But in the end, the best adjective I find to describe this novel is "pleasant," and that is not necessarily the kind of adjective you want describing your MilSF tecno-spy thriller. There isn't really very much in the way of building tension in Outriders; never any real sense that their objectives are in jeopardy or even that their lives are in danger (curiously, this is actually by design). Even the "bad guys" are generally agreeable people who just made a morally questionable set of choices. Nothing surprising or revelatory happens anywhere in this book. The pace is even and relaxed throughout; it just hums and skips along until its business concludes.
That's not good enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outriders.

August 26, 2016 – Started Reading
August 26, 2016 – Shelved
August 26, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Lindsay That's disappointing. I'm supposed to be reading this next month ...

message 2: by spikeINflorida (new)

spikeINflorida Agree with your "recent trend" comment. It's getting old. We military SF fans need a new Forever War or Armor.

message 3: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov And, your favorite MilSF tecno-spy thriller, Gary, is...?

Gary HBalikov wrote: "And, your favorite MilSF tecno-spy thriller, Gary, is...?"

I thought Linda Nagata's Red trilogy was brilliant.

message 5: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Firestone Almost bought this on Amazon since it's on sale today. Thank you for saving me $2!

Gary Scott wrote: "Almost bought this on Amazon since it's on sale today. Thank you for saving me $2!"

Anytime!

message 7: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov Gary wrote: "HBalikov wrote: "And, your favorite MilSF tecno-spy thriller, Gary, is...?"

I thought Linda Nagata's Red trilogy was brilliant."

Thanks, Gary...I've wanted a good push in her direction.