TheSecretWriter's Reviews > Walking with Elephants

Walking with Elephants by Karen S. Bell

Jun 05, 2011

"Walking with Elephants" is Karen Bell’s first novel. Karen is not new to writing as she has in the past worked as a theatre critic and celebrity interviewer for a weekly tabloid in Jacksonville, Florida, USA. Karen also holds a Master's Degree in Mass Communication which she obtained from Oklahoma State University.

The cover and title of this particular book does not give anything away in relation to the really good story that can be found inside. The title “Walking with Elephants”, had me really puzzled for quite a while, until towards the end of this story, all is revealed!

Karen herself would describe this book as a light hearted slice-of- life story that highlights some of the serious work and family issues that are facing women today. Although this story is based on a woman’s perspective, as a male I was hooked by both the characters and the story line right from the start.

Without giving too much away, the principal character within this story Suze Hall, has reached a defining moment in both her career and family life. Her husband Bob, decides to go to the warm and sunny land of Australia for a six month research sabbatical, leaving Suze and their three children at home. Suze’s own job in the literary world takes a downward turn once Bob is away and so starts a story that has twists and turns as well as ups and downs. Things also take a 'skip' when Suze’s first love re-appears into her already mixed up world!

Karen Bell has a unique writing style that gets you fully involved in the lives, emotions and turmoil’s of her clearly colourful characters. This book is an easy read which once started can be difficult to put down, as you are left wondering what will actually come next in some places. I was left chuckling to myself a number of times in relation to certain scenes from within this story.

As a debut novel I think this story is very well told and would give it five stars for the story alone. I am looking forward to reading future books by Karen S Bell, as I am sure that I will not be disappointed! From a financial perspective the Kindle version of this book will not break the bank if you are looking something slightly different from the usual to read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking with Elephants.