Kelly Hager's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Elizabeth  Miles

I went into this novel totally blind. I knew that Lauren Kate loved it and that Elizabeth Miles and Lauren Oliver are friends and that the cover was gorgeous. That was it. In case you need more than pretty covers and excellent author recommendations/connections, here goes. This is a paranormal YA novel. The students in Ascension (small Maine town) are on winter break. Emily is excited because her crush is spending time with her. And Chase is happy because he's met this gorgeous girl and she seems to be into him.

Except.

Except Emily's crush is her best friend's boyfriend. And Chase's crush has something going on that she isn't telling him. This cannot end well.

This is a clever, unsettling book. I enjoyed both aspects of the book (the paranormal and the contemporary---I think the story would've worked as either aspect) and the characters are real. They seem like people you'd be friends with (or pointedly NOT friends with, as the case may be). But none of the characters are perfect. Everyone's at least a little flawed, but nobody's all bad, either. (That's a hard line to walk, I'm sure.)

This is the first book in a trilogy (yay!) and I cannot wait to read the next two installments. Goodreads says they're all coming out this year, but I suspect that's a mistake (I am not that lucky).

Finally, let me say this: I am NEVER going to Maine. Not ever. Between this, Carrie Jones' novels and 99% of Stephen King's books, I am convinced that only bad things come of spending time in Maine. (And even without the supernatural happenings, there's a lot of snow there! I hate snow.)

You should absolutely read this. Even though it's the end of August, I guarantee it'll feel like winter for you while you're in Ascension.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.

June 5, 2011 – Started Reading