Karen Russell's Reviews > Art & Soul

Art & Soul by Brittainy C. Cherry

Aug 25, 2016

bookshelves: 2016

When I first saw this on Audible, I jumped on it mainly because the cover is so beautiful and the preview of book touched me. I had never read anything from this author, so I thought I would give it a shot. When I realized this was about teen pregnancy, I wasn't so sure I wanted to read on something so touchy and figured there could be some explicit sex scenes. But kept on listening, I did! Soon I was swept away by Aria's and Levi's stories. It was written with alternating POV between the two of them... which I LOVE! I love it even more in audio format.
One thing I noticed and enjoyed was the writing. The words had a comforting flow that I found easy to get wrapped up in, to get lost in the world she created. Even though her writing was simple, it was beautifully put together.
So many emotions were brought to the surface as Aria and Levi both had to face so many difficult decisions and situations brought on by bad judgement or just from what life brings. My heart broke, I laughed out loud, I wanted to scream with frustration and then cry my eyes out from it all.
My favorite thing about this book was the real life issues Cherry addressed. There were so many valuable lessons to be learned... from being accountable for your actions, the seriousness of having sex, sacrificing for love or selflessness, to respecting others and their decisions. Also she touched on mental illnesses, death, life, childhood cancer, and birth. I was impressed with the way the characters grew throughout the story and was impressed with the way these difficult situations were finally handled.
Last but not least... there were no explicit scenes! There was a suggestive comment that was out of nowhere, and a few bad words, but other than that, this was fairly clean.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Art & Soul.

Started Reading