Cheryl's Reviews > John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat

John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat by Jenny Wagner

youtube
Subject to interpretation depending on your pov, and your interpretation will color your appreciation.

For example, I couldn't disagree more with the reviewer who says this a horrible book because Rose, the 'adult,' is being manipulative, pretending to be sick when all she really wants is for John Brown to let the cat into their family. Otoh, since she and the dog can use words to talk to each other, they should do so, and Rose should encourage the loyal JB to open his heart. And besides, there is no adult/child r'ship here - JB sees himself as an adult caregiver to a frail old lady. (a youtube reviewer points out that John Brown was the name of the widowed Queen Victoria's manservant)

Apparently this is an Australian book. I imagine adults in the US, meeting this for the first time, will have a different reaction to it Aussie children who grew up with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat.

Started Reading
August 25, 2016 – Shelved
August 25, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily This story makes me cry because I interpret the midnight cat as representing death, which Rose, who is tired and ill, is ready to welcome, but John Brown is not ready to accept losing her.

message 2: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl Oh wow. I had not thought of that. The last scene doesn't look like that at all, but it certainly could be reinterpreted that way.

Thank you.