Sarah's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Jun 05, 2011

bookshelves: read-before-2010, books-i-own-print, british-author, books-i-own-kindle, read-in-2014, favorites
Read from March 31 to April 05, 2014

As with my previous reviews for the books in this series this is probably going to be more of me fangirling over J.K. Rowling and the world she created rather than a proper review. How can I be expected to properly analyse a series that has meant to much to me for such a long time? It's just impossible!

I put off re-reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for a long time after I'd finished the last book, not because I didn't like it but because I knew just how emotional the story made me the first time around. I'm sad to have reached the end of the journey once again because I just want to live in this world. The characters all feel like long lost friends and I've enjoyed being reunited with them in this series re-read but it is so hard to let them go.

I do think the series went out with a bang though and certain characters really get their chance to shine here. Of course you have Harry, Hermionie, Ron and the rest of the Weasley's (Mrs Weasley is one of the best fictional mothers out there and I absolutely adore Fred & George!) but Neville has come an amazingly long way since the first book and he, Luna, Hagrid and Dobby will always have a special place in my heart too! Once again this book contains some devastating losses for our heroes, not all of our favourites will still be around at the end (something that I think was made quite clear after what happened in the Half-Blood Prince!) and there was more than one occasion that this book reduced me to tears. I guess that's probably why I actually enjoyed the cheesy ending so much, the characters who do make it have seen more than enough loss to have FINALLY earned their happy ever after and it put a huge smile on my face to see them get it.

This series will always be special to me. I have loved it for so long, both in book and movie form, and I only love it more after re-reading the series again from the beginning. I know I'll pick up these books again in the future but for now I'm going to settle for a movie marathon (I haven't actually watched the two films for this book since they were on at the cinema so it'll be like watching them again for the first time). I know J.K. Rowling will never see this review but I want to thank her for creating such a wonderful series, one that has captured the imagination of millions of readers and brought so much joy to so many people. I don't think there will ever be a series that has such an impact on me as Harry Potter has but I don't think that is a bad thing - it just goes to show how wonderful these books really are.

04/03/2014 marked as: currently-reading
04/04/2014 page 385
63.0% "Damn it that part always makes me cry *sniffle*"
04/05/2014
75.0% "Neville!!!! I love how much he changed from the beginning of the series :-) Go Dumbledore's Army!!!" 4 comments
04/05/2014
84.0% "Even on a reread this book is killing me *sobs*"
04/05/2014
96.0% ""NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Mrs Weasley - Best. Fictional. Mother. EVER!!" 2 comments