Kathrynn's Reviews > Mercury's War

Mercury's War by Lora Leigh

liked it
bookshelves: series-breed_leigh, own, romance-scifi, 2009, hot, reviewed

Complicated. A lot of families and relations were thrown around in this one and I finally had to right down who was related to keep it straight. Also, the Breed hierarchy became more complicated than I was interested in knowing...not a good thing.

The "games" that were referred to--repeatedly--that Dane and Ria played were silly. I didn't get the "game" part. The secret(s) Ria kept from others didn't seem like it should have been a secret to me. I didn't get it. Why she dressed the way she did seemed like a pitiful excuse. The way she was a royal bitch in the morning didn't have me warming up to her in any way. Her character: throwing fits, a lot of anger, then throwing herself at Mercury...I didn't like it. She needed to grow the heck up!

Mercury's character was okay. It took me awhile to follow the brief glimpses into his inner animal and the suppression of same. Mercury and Ria argued ALL THE TIME, up to the very end. Ugh!

Found up to around page 100 to be very slow. The suspense was good, but once again, too complicated. Just throw out those "sci-fi" made-up words like a Star Trek movie and talk about complicated surveillance and tracking equipment like I really care...

Thought it was silly how Ria was scanning the files looking for coding while threatening Sanctuary with cutting off their funding. All the backstabbing and heated confrontations by all members got on my nerves.

In the midst of tracking a traitor(s), Mercury takes Ria clothes shopping...o-kay. Frustrated me. All Ria's exasperated retorts got old.

Man did I get sick and tired of Ely's temper-tantrums, too. Clearly, Jonas and Callon have a tenuous hold on power at Sanctuary. Throw in the mysterious Alaiya (other mate for Mercury) and all her annoying traits had me rolling my eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercury's War.

March 9, 2008 – Shelved
March 9, 2008 – Shelved as: series-breed_leigh
October 11, 2008 – Shelved as: own
March 8, 2009 –
page 117
36.0% "Finally picking up now!"
Started Reading
March 9, 2009 –
page 252
77.54% "Complicated Breed mess. Hard to keep up with who is related and a chart would be helpful... a lot of arguing. :-("
March 9, 2009 – Shelved as: romance-scifi
March 9, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009
March 9, 2009 – Shelved as: hot
March 9, 2009 – Finished Reading
April 10, 2009 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Auntee Yow! I'm still waiting for her to write a book where the H/H are not arguing all the time and/or resentful that they are attracted to each other.

Kathrynn I know, seems the theme for the breed series...:-( I may have to stop on this series. Have "Coyote's Mate" already to read; depending on how THAT goes, I may back off from this series...That denial of the mating heat just gets O.L.D.

Her Tempting SEALs and Elite Ops don't seem to have the arguing theme, though. Thank goodness!

Daisiemae I totally agree with both of you! I have the new breed series book, but have put off reading it because I get tired of the constant fighting that goes on between the H/H. It WOULD be fresh if they were Damn happy to be with one another from the start!

Auntee Most of her series have couples who are either bickering, mad about something, or at least one of them denying their feelings, etc. But the 'Breeds' series is probably the worst offender, and you're right, it gets old. That's probably why I'm about 4 or 5 books behind on the series.

I would love if she wrote a book where the H/H get along and want to be together, but have some other conflict or obstacle standing in their way!:)

message 5: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Won't be reading this one...